View single post by Slider2732
 Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 11:18 AM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Slider2732

Ah thanks Mark. Yeah, this was all quite the oddity that evening. My wife too could hear the words on playback in Audacity....but, on listening to the clips now, all I hear is a pretty much samey collection of noises unless I hunt hard for it !

The audio is from a self hacked $1 Dollar Tree radio and with careful setup behaves much like the Radio Shack more famous hacks. Sweep width and speed are easily adjusted, to give the familiar DRV sound we all know. The rescanning rate is controlled by a 555 timer chip, giving scan resets of any length required via a variable pot. The chip inside is a tiny Silan SC1088 and is a smaller version of another, commonly used full sized chip that many have used for such work.

Quite what happened I don't know. The audio was played in Audacity, confirmed and reconfirmed again and then saved out as .mp3 and posted.
These clips now remind me of my French lessons at school, where I got an E1 consistently, E for ability which was poor, 1 for effort which was the top score lol