View single post by Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
 Posted: Dec 8th, 2014 04:15 AM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Technics ST-Z990 project abandoned......quite some time ago.
I couldn't get the digitally controlled analog switches to keep up with the speed of the logic circuits....seems like at higher speeds, the opto couplers inside acted the same way a LED hooked up to a similar square wave of the same frequency would, always on, but dimmer......I looked up some other dudes, J-FET based chip. nooooope! Dual supply +15 -15....didnt have a 30 some odd volt, center tapped transformer to build a power supply for this type or circuit. Soooooooo... The concept isn't dead...we're just waiting for solid state relays to get dirt cheap..4 bucks a piece aint gonna cut it. I've got a Denon TU-450 put away...looks to be pretty similar to the Technics.....As for the Technics...It'is a great sounding radio....I finally put it back together and JUST put a 3 way on/off/on toggle to latch the seek up/down controls and let it scan on its own.....there is a small hiccup on reset points, but not bad. The part I love about it is, the AM band tuner...i put a tiny little pigtail antenna on that dude..The antenna length acts like a gate..as it is scanning you don't get all the static, and at the same time it's not picking anything up....if you place your hand near the pigtail, but not touching it....it starts pulling in radio signals....stronger the closer you get. So it completely locally controlled, so it's using the vocal cuts in the broadcasts ONLY when something similar to the energy of your hand, is within close proximity of the antennae. That being said, I think it truly makes it more of "ghost box" than an ITC device. A tool for a more concentrated/active type of environment.