ITC Bridge Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

ITC Bridge and iDigitalMedium.com are now VARANORMAL.COM Please visit: https://www.varanormal.com This site does not allow new registrations, and is now an online archive of a decade of Paranormal and ITC (Instrumental Transcommunication) experimentation from 2007 - 2016 We thank you for a wonderful decade! ~ Keith Clark & Ron Ruiz

Moderated by: Vicki Talbott, Keith Clark, ArizonaEvp
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Ringing phone....hello?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Nov 19th, 2013 09:01 PM
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

So i am currently working on a radio, its not a sweeper 100% but a crude attempt at something I'm calling a band jumper.....its not a linear sweep, but it utilizes up down sweeps, anyways i can get into it more if people are interested.
But.....
As i am working on this thing ......the toy phone in my kids play garden is ( (is glitching?) and keeps ringing.......
I guess i am going to take this as a good sign....haha

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Nov 19th, 2013 09:45 PM
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
ArizonaEvp
Super Moderator

Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz wrote:
So i am currently working on a radio, its not a sweeper 100% but a crude attempt at something I'm calling a band jumper.....its not a linear sweep, but it utilizes up down sweeps, anyways i can get into it more if people are interested.
But.....
As i am working on this thing ......the toy phone in my kids play garden is ( (is glitching?) and keeps ringing.......
I guess i am going to take this as a good sign....haha

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

By all means please tell us more about your current project.

As far as the toy phone ringing...answer it...ya never know :scared:

Or you could turn on your recorder and place it by the phone and see what you might get in the way of evp's.

Regards,
Ron

Posted: Nov 19th, 2013 11:20 PM
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

The unit is a micro controller to slave a Technics TU-Z990.
Basically there are 8 preset buttons on the front, the idea is to set the presets incrementally throughout the band.
The unit consists of five clocks.
Clock one controls the speed of an 8 bit sequencer.
Clock two controls the speed an 8 bit binary counter.
Clock three controls the speed for a toggle mode JK flip flop that will toggle between scan mode and random preset mode.
Clock four controls another toggle mode JK flip flop for scan up or scan down.
Clock five controls the speed of the scan mode.

All of the pertinent switches on the technics are connected to digital switches on the controller.

So what you get is random jump to one of the preset increments in the band, then flip to scan (up or down,depending on jk flip flop 2)
Back and forth back and forth......and so on......

The idea is that it gives you multiple places in the band to start your sweep.
The sweep could go up ....or down ......and jump back to a higher increment or lower increment on the presets and again sweep up or down.

The five clocks are all controllable via potentiometers....this should insure proper randomness.....which i believe may be more productive than a point to point linear sweep.

If it is not random enough, i will throw in some LDR photo sensors into the clock control resistance .......then the light coming from the optical output (LEDs) will push or pull the clock depending on the overall brightness of the counters doing their thing.

The icing on the cake, is the technics has a quartz lock mechanism, whatever that is?

But it gives you three levels of signal that it is detecting......low med high....
The digital output for the level indicators will trigger an IC digital audio recorder........

With no antenna on this dude its very quiet.......but when it does detect a signal, the recorder will automatically fire up for a short period, stop, and wait for the next signal.

We'll see...........i think perhaps it needs an antenna maybe one or two loops of some super fine hair thin wire......not too much to bring in the channels, but just enough for the spirit to have something to vibrate.

Posted: Nov 19th, 2013 11:28 PM
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

The preset randomizer is made of the sequencer always trying to fire off the preset switches in order, but is being integrated by the binary counter, so....via AND gates .....its only going to throw the switch if the corresponding outputs of both sequencer and binary counter are hitting at the same time. And so on with the flip flops so that no switch on the front of that thing is latching when another is trying to latch.

Posted: Nov 19th, 2013 11:36 PM
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

The idea came to me after trying to build a traditional sweeper with variable tuning diodes, during the fundamental development phase just building an am radio from scratch i ran into trouble with the overall inductance of the tuning coil, so i thought maybe if i could switch the length of the tuning coil really fast i could get half way there all the time, if i sped it up fast enough.........but i ran out of magnet wire .....and i picked up this technics for five bucks at the goodwill store, and it took over.........
The coil swapper is still on the table.....and i think will essentially do the same thing, but will be portable.

Posted: Nov 20th, 2013 01:03 PM
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
sparks

Hi,
Great project.
"Quartz Lock" is just a buzz word for the frequency synthesizer in the front end that is involved in selecting the incoming frequency. It takes a minimum finite time for it to change (re-lock) from one channel to another, so this will be a limiting factor in how fast the receiver can frequency hop when told to do so by the presets, or use of scanning / external hardware.
I like your idea of automating control via digital switches. I havent gone done this path, but I did experiment with swinging the varicap tune line in a similar technics tuner with a random level digital staircase waveform generated by an D/A. The D/A being fed with psuedo random digital values. Swinging the varicap line directly meant no min synth lock time, so I could get instant change in received frequency.
Please let us hear some audio clips.
regards,
JEFF

Posted: Nov 20th, 2013 04:47 PM
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Thats a great idea feeding the vericpaps a digitally controlled vco........
What is the model number on the vericaps you prefer? I have a feeling im going to run into trouble with the ones it bought, looks like i am going to need 30v to get the full range out of these dudes. I may not need the full range, but then agian if i do need 30v, that may hinder the portability of my next project.

Posted: Nov 20th, 2013 05:34 PM
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
sparks

I didnt need extra varicaps as I was controlling the receiver's built-in varicaps via the tune line that is controlled by the synthesizer. Ive done this method with several radios. In the radio shack "ghost boxes", this line is labelled VT. The synth output needs to be disconnected from the varicap line, so it can be swung with external DC control. Yes, with some varicaps, they need up to 30v to get into the small capacitance end of the range.
In medium wave sets that I did add varicaps to, I used to use BB212 varicaps. Theres 2 in one package, and have high capacitance per diode (500pF). For FM, I used BB204, also a double.
JEFF

P.S:
BB212 is a Philips part. I also used a Motorola varicap, MVAM109. Maybe more available in the USA.

Last edited on Nov 20th, 2013 07:51 PM by sparks

Posted: Dec 8th, 2014 04:15 AM
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Technics ST-Z990 project abandoned......quite some time ago.
I couldn't get the digitally controlled analog switches to keep up with the speed of the logic circuits....seems like at higher speeds, the opto couplers inside acted the same way a LED hooked up to a similar square wave of the same frequency would, always on, but dimmer......I looked up some other dudes, J-FET based chip. nooooope! Dual supply +15 -15....didnt have a 30 some odd volt, center tapped transformer to build a power supply for this type or circuit. Soooooooo... The concept isn't dead...we're just waiting for solid state relays to get dirt cheap..4 bucks a piece aint gonna cut it. I've got a Denon TU-450 put away...looks to be pretty similar to the Technics.....As for the Technics...It'is a great sounding radio....I finally put it back together and JUST put a 3 way on/off/on toggle to latch the seek up/down controls and let it scan on its own.....there is a small hiccup on reset points, but not bad. The part I love about it is, the AM band tuner...i put a tiny little pigtail antenna on that dude..The antenna length acts like a gate..as it is scanning you don't get all the static, and at the same time it's not picking anything up....if you place your hand near the pigtail, but not touching it....it starts pulling in radio signals....stronger the closer you get. So it completely locally controlled, so it's using the vocal cuts in the broadcasts ONLY when something similar to the energy of your hand, is within close proximity of the antennae. That being said, I think it truly makes it more of "ghost box" than an ITC device. A tool for a more concentrated/active type of environment.

Current time is 06:09 PM  
ITC Bridge > Instrumental Transcommunication (ITC) > Frequency Sweep | Radio Sweep Tuning > Ringing phone....hello? Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1491 seconds (30% database + 70% PHP). 27 queries executed.