ITC Bridge Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

ITC Bridge and iDigitalMedium.com are now VARANORMAL.COM Please visit: https://www.varanormal.com This site does not allow new registrations, and is now an online archive of a decade of Paranormal and ITC (Instrumental Transcommunication) experimentation from 2007 - 2016 We thank you for a wonderful decade! ~ Keith Clark & Ron Ruiz

Moderated by: lance, Keith Clark, ArizonaEvp
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
3.6V to 5V step up converter ?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Nov 28th, 2008 03:59 PM
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Slider2732

I'd like to convert a 3.6V cellphone Li-Ion battery to run a 5V circuit.

There seem to be a couple of options to enable 5V, but i'm mainly wondering if there are any tips and techniques that can be built from junk box parts.
Quite a few chips are around, from MAX and other firms...but am thinking there must be something along the lines of using diodes for voltage drops, in reverse. Amperage is no issue, the circuits will run in the 200-300mA range.

I could put 2x3.6V pack in a device and use a 7805 for a smooth 5V...but wish to only go along that route if nothing straight forward seems feasible.

Main reasoning is that a whole world of possibilities open up with my large collection of parts, if I can just get 5V for circuits.

Still in hope of finding a chip based solution, i'm currently looking through various items in boxes for one of these:

Attachment: l6920db.pdf (Downloaded 2137 times)

Last edited on Nov 28th, 2008 04:05 PM by Slider2732

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Nov 28th, 2008 05:54 PM
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
joecioppi

Slider,

There are voltage doubler circuits on the web using the 555 timer oscillator and a couple of diodes. I think Stephan Bion uses one in his random noise box for random bit input to EVPmaker.

joecioppi

Posted: Nov 29th, 2008 11:27 AM
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Slider2732

Thanks Joe. What i'm finding is that 555's usually only begin reliably operating around 4V, spec sheets are usually a little conservative, but not quite conservative enough. Apart from CMOS ones, of which I have none left, my others are of the higher voltage type. 5V to 9V circuits and others would work well...it's just the starting point I have that seems to negate such good practical methods.

I read somewhere of an LED driver from just a single 1.5V cell, that could work down to 0.2V or something amazing. I think 2 FET's were used similarly to switching power supplies in that instance and might be able to be rejigged. Got about a dozen MPF102's, so that could be worthy of a look at again.

Posted: Nov 29th, 2008 12:55 PM
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
joecioppi

OK...two transistors in a multivibrator with caps and diodes to double the square wave output.

Last edited on Nov 29th, 2008 12:57 PM by joecioppi

Posted: Nov 30th, 2008 09:23 AM
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Slider2732

I think that's the way to go :)
Nothing in the circuits is expected to suffer from lack of amperage power and i'd intend to have a low power LED indicator in the circuit.
A lot of doubler circuits seem to work well with partial A/C, as derived from wall warts and seen in online circuits, but i've not yet got a battery doubler to work in own trials.

Posted: Nov 30th, 2008 06:04 PM
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
joecioppi

ok

Current time is 10:50 PM  
ITC Bridge > Ask a Question, Give an Answer > Opinions, advice, techniques, software, and methodology > 3.6V to 5V step up converter ? Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1441 seconds (30% database + 70% PHP). 26 queries executed.