ITC Bridge Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

ITC Bridge and iDigitalMedium.com are now VARANORMAL.COM Please visit: https://www.varanormal.com This site does not allow new registrations, and is now an online archive of a decade of Paranormal and ITC (Instrumental Transcommunication) experimentation from 2007 - 2016 We thank you for a wonderful decade! ~ Keith Clark & Ron Ruiz

Moderated by: Keith Clark, fratka, ArizonaEvp
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Spiricom 4.1: Another try  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Jun 20th, 2010 11:34 AM
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Schuyler

I am embarking on an attempt to re-create Spiricom IV using modern equipment. Since I am not 100% sure of myself in terms of the technicalities involved, I could probably use some help and guidance as I proceed. 

BACKGROUND
I have been interested in Spiricom since it was developed, In the early eighties I wrote to George Meek intending to buy the Spiricom Manual. He wrote back saying it was out of print. I wrote again and begged him to let me borrow a copy. he did. I copied it and sent it back. I also bought a cassette copy of the conversations which I still have. 

Now a lot of that stuff, including the manual, is available on the Net. But at the time I looked through the manual and determined the technical sophistication to build a Spiricom was a) expensive and b) beyond my capabilities. So I put the manual away for 30 years.

TODAY
A lot happened in 30 years. The technology advanced and, I say with modesty, so did I. I became an Extra Class HAM Radio operator, KZ7B, and my profession just happened to involve computers. I am now retired and have plenty of time to experiment with what interests me.

In re-acquainting myself with Spiricom I have found quite a bit of material on the Net, of course, including a fair amount of negative stuff. We can address that during this discussion, but right now I'm just laying out my plans.

When I looked at the basic diagrams on how the Spiricom worked it suddenly struck me that I had most of the equipment necessary to make one already! The one area where Meek and O’Neill had significant problems was in creating oscillators of various frequencies. These were used to form a ‘carrier’ wave that “Dead Guys” used to modulate their voices and make them understood at our level of reality.

Well, today you can do that in software! A multi-tone generator can be had for free or a modest price that can blend any number of oscillators at whatever frequencies you desire. That was the original sticking point which has now become the easiest point. The rest of building a Spiricom 4.1 is not trivial or without expense, but it isn’t difficult either. 

INTENT & FOCUS
The essence of science is replicability. The claim is that Spiricom IV actually worked. The task, then, is to mirror the original experiment as closely as possible and try again to see if it works. Now one claim is that Spiricom WAS replicated and that it did NOT work, but I have to tell you, getting good information on exactly who did so when is extremely difficult. There is precious little information available. I also realize that an exact replication is impossible for many reasons, including even the personalities of the people involved in the original experiment. It’s impossible, period. However, I think we can get pretty close, and that’s what we’re going to try to do here.

BASIC DESIGN
The idea here is to create your software oscillators at specific frequencies, meld them together into a single signal and pipe this out of your computer using its own sound card into a transmitter which will broadcast this signal on a specific frequency, namely 29.550 MHz or thereabouts. This broadcast signal is then picked up by a receiver which emits the tone into the room. You record the result as best you can.

This all happens in the same room. The room acts as an echo chamber. Your own voice is recorded along with the carrier signal. Ideally, this would take place inside a Faraday Cage to isolate the signals from the outside and the outside from the Cage. THAT part IS expensive and won’t be part of Spiricom 4.1.

DESIGN ELEMENTS
Software Oscillator from http://www.esseraudio.com/ running on a Toshiba Satellite laptop itself running Windows 7. ($20.00)

Computer Interface to transmitter using a Rigblaster Pro from West Mountain Radio: http://westmountainradio.com/RIGblaster_pro.htm ($329)

Transmitter is a Kenwood TS-2000 multi-band transceiver which sends and receives all HAM radio bands, plus receives many more: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-2000-B2000-2000X ($2500)

Antenna is a “Little Wilson” 10 meter antenna which covers the specific frequency we want to deal with: http://www.bellscb.com/products/antennas/wilson/Wilson_Little_Wil.htm ($35)

Receiver is a Yaesu VX-7RB (http://jmbennett.org/img/radio2.jpg) which is a handheld portable that can receive (but not transmit) on the 10 meter band. (About $300) This may be a bit of a weak link. The radio is quite capable, but it is very small, including a very small speaker no more than an inch or an inch and a half in diameter. We may have to replace this with a more robust unit.

Recorder is a Digital is a H4N Handy from Zoom Corporation (http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/) This records in stereo in as many as 4 channels onto an SD memory card. Files can be saved in MP3 format then simply uploaded onto the Toshiba and then the Internet, thus completing the circle. It has a multi-directional microphone built into it. ($281)

The total price for this combination is about $3500 though the net added for this project to existing equipment is less than $1000.

As far as I can tell, the set-up described above duplicates all the essentials of Spiricom IV using more modern and precise equipment. For example, O’Neill used a cheapie cassette recorder for that part of the design element. This uses a much more sophisticated and expensive digital recorder often used in the music industry. Also, the tolerances of modern electronics is much tighter and more precise than could be accomplished in the era of vacuum tube radios. 

In future posts I intend to discuss the background of Spiricom a little more thoroughly. I intend to provide a reference guide to information that is available. And I intend to discuss the debunking attempts against Spiricom. I’ve looked over this material, and frankly, they leave a lot to be desired. There’s a lot of innuendo, but there’s no real smoking gun. Connecting the dots to prove fraud is a lot harder than it looks. In any case, we’ll devote some quality time to that aspect.

NEXT STEPS
I’ve got all the pieces, but getting them put together correctly is going to be a challenge. There are a whole lot of cables and jumpers that have to be precisely connected in just the right way before this has a prayer of working.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Jun 22nd, 2010 09:45 AM
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Schuyler

In pulling together the pieces it seems to me that the receiving radio is a weak link. It’s a Yaesu VX-7RB, which is a “handi” with an extremely tiny speaker, about an inch in diameter. There are no controls for treble or bass. It sounds kind of tinny to me. It’s only saving grace is that it receives on the rather obscure frequencies we’re interested in, plus I have it already. But given that sound is the essence of the experiment, I think it needs replacement.

Therefore I have decided to rectify this by moving to a better receiver, an Eton Satellit 750: http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=351064 which is must more robust, can be hooked to an outside speaker, plus can use alternative antennas. For the antenna I am going to get another “Lil Will” so that both send and receive will be twins. This is more in line with the original Spiricom design which used two equivalent antennas, though O’Neill simply made those out of pieces of wire.

As I have come across accounts of other Spiricom experiments, their explanation shows them to be really pretty poor attempts—when I can find them. The literature is full of statements such as, “No one, ever, has made a Spiricom work.” But when you try to find just who has tried it, it’s difficult to find anyone. Few of these subsequent experiments are documented. I did find one done by a friend of Meek who had some of the original Spiricom equipment, but not all. It sounds like a portable version. The tones were originally made by homemade oscillators invented by O’Neill himself to specifications, he says, dictated by Mueller based on music harmonics. But in this portable experiment the woman used a continuous loop tape and run on a cassette recorder.

If this is a true account, no wonder it didn’t work! There is no indication this was a direct connect to the transmitter. In other words, she played the tape into the transmitter microphone which would have resulted in a double carrier wave, one from the cassette playing in the room and one from the transmitter to receiver interchange. It must have been pretty loud in the room, but it certainly wasn’t a duplicate experiment. That may not have been the case, but the real point is we have no way of knowing because these secondary experiments were so poorly documented, if at all.

I have also made on other change in the system. I found a better tone generator from NCH: http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html It has more options than the previous software and was not crippleware when I tried it out. The 13 tones are already programmed into the software and it appears to be working just fine.

Posted: Jun 23rd, 2010 11:16 AM
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Schuyler

I'm having a lot of problems getting my computer to talk to the transmitter. I can get tones from the computer to the rigblaster interface, and I can get the rigblaster to transfer to the transmitter, but I can't get the tones to the transmitter.

Posted: Jun 23rd, 2010 11:32 AM
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
neokortex_simulacrum

I post just to inform you that you're being heard, although I don't know the solution to your problem.

Posted: Jun 23rd, 2010 03:57 PM
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Schuyler

Got it! It's functional. If I've not made any design mistakes here we now have a fully functional equivalent to Spiricom IV. The PC to Rig interface was a real bitch. I essentially have to manually override the rig itself because the tone generator software does not know how to control the radio. There's going to have to be some serious fine tuning to get rid of noise, but I will start with the 'harmonic tones' in the original Spiricom Manual: 131-141-151-241-272-282-292-302-415-443-515-653-701. These, if you've been following along, are the tones suggested by DG Mueller himself as appropriate to form a carrier wave. Once we get these tones isolated a little better we'll be ready to start with the experiment.

Posted: Mar 15th, 2013 12:37 PM
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
urkel23

What was the outcome? Sorry, came across this post late.

-Steve Hultay

Posted: Mar 15th, 2013 12:46 PM
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Schuyler

Well, I believe I have the finctional equivlanet to the original Spiricom. It surely seems to follow the original schematics properly. In terms of "making it work" that's a big zero. The tones permeate the room and are irritating, to say the least. I'm thinking ot would take a lot of patience to endure litening to these tones hoping for a positive outcome.

Frankly, I think the idea is still sound, but that this particular implementation is probably a highly personalized and unique episode in the history of such efforts.

Posted: Mar 26th, 2013 05:46 AM
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Old-Frank

I tried using a lower transmit frequency, on the top end of the AM band. It's been my experience that if human speech sounds are used the entities find it easy to manipulate it into meaningful messages and speech. I get no responses with this Spiricom set up. After a home made transmitter/receiver I tried a Ramsey AM transmitter kit--same thing, no change in the "raw audio", I tried with recorded and mixed tones, some ones Meek supposedly used. No responses.
I replaced the coil in the transmitter with a crystal, the highest freq I had was 27 mhz. I used my DX-440 as a receiver, I heard the signal, and the transmitted audio, no messages.
I have used EVPmaker since 2001, I use human speech in the form of voice recordings, some just recorded off broadcast radio. EVPmaker works, and "they" manipulate the sound in the form of bits inside the computer--presumably. I make the original Frank's Box, "they" manipulate the bits of speech as a radio is swept across it's tuning range. That works. I use other methods. manual sweep, a radio tuned between stations when there is DX coming in. Foreign language--recording a language I do not understand, announcing I am doing an EVP recording, on playback there is often messages, in English, mixed with the foreign language. I made a device using a Speakjet chip, accessed only by a random number generator, I get meaningful phrases from that, I called it RoboBox. It was inconsistent though.
The only thing I get is nothing on these Spiricom tests. I really doubt that the system is frequency critical, or the tones are all that critical. I'm not wasting anymore time with it when I can just turn on a box and "they" speak immediately. I did try chopped audio, the Speakjet allophones and the "Meek tones" with Spiricom--all no response.

Frank

Posted: Mar 28th, 2013 07:14 AM
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jan

I read of Spiricom and the book "The Ghost of 29 megacycles" years ago and found it a fascinating read, combining my electronics training with my interest in the paranormal.

But as often seems to be the case with ‘proof’ of paranormal matters, on close examination the specific claims of George Meek and William O’Neal start to crumble.

For example, O’Neal was a professional ventriloquist who owned an electro-larynx. And the fact that O’Neal and Dr Muller were never recorded occasionally talking over one another as in real conversations is rather unusual. It’s also reported that only O’Neal could get the Spiricom device to work.

If true, none of the above are proof of a hoax, but it looks (sounds?) mighty suspicious doesn’t it?

Or is this all mischievous naysaying by sceptics afraid of the truth? If this were not a hoax then I expect there are lots of examples of refined Spiricom devices working by now after nearly 30 years of dedicated research by competent researchers.

Apparently the original Spiricom device is now located in a hanger in Florida. Can anyone confirm this?

jan

Last edited on Mar 28th, 2013 07:15 AM by Jan

Posted: Mar 28th, 2013 07:31 AM
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
ArizonaEvp
Super Moderator

Hello Jan,

I could be wrong but I thought the Spiricom was still in pieces at the MetaScience Foundation.

For pics and other discussion you could peruse this thread:

http://www.itcbridge.com/forum/view_topic.php?id=1414&forum_id=23

Hope this helps,
Ron

Posted: Mar 28th, 2013 08:20 AM
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jan

Thanks Ron for your quick reply and in pointing me to that thread.

I see the Spiricom device and the possible er... inconsistencies have been well aired already here. I'd have been surprised if they had not, given the level of knowledge the forum members seem to have.

After a bit of Googling it does appear to be located in Florida, "under the watchful eye of its true
guardian and rightful President of the Metascience Foundation: Thomas Pratt."

Stephen Rorke, a "university physics lecturer" has recently seen it there.

At the back of my mind I seem to remember a podcast "proving" it was all a hoax when someone managed to get hold of a recording where O'Neal appeared to not get the electo-larynx away from his mouth fast enough while answering Dr Meuller - it rather gave the game away. I'll try and find it.

Given all the controversy and lack of hard evidence (at least as far as I know), I'm a little surprised this is still being pursued.

jan

Posted: Mar 30th, 2013 11:46 AM
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

I think everyone may agree, the real question is not whether Spiricom worked or not, the innate reason most of us wish to know that is because we want to know what is possible today. The Spiricom event gave hope, question is what will we learn from it?

Radio communication is possible, and I feel will be sustained one day using frequency and possibly electrical energy closely related to Tesla's work.

Keith

Posted: Jul 9th, 2013 07:30 AM
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Domenic Capaldi
Banned

Spiricom was not solely about the devices used by Mr O`Neill, of course his setup was important as it was a means by which his technicians were able to connect with him,
unfortunately, things happened to the communicating station involved that rendered it obsolete, this has probably led to the failure to replicate O`Neill's results over the years by different researchers.

It matters not that O’Neil was a professional ventriloquist who owned a Electrolarynx, I don`t think this constitutes fraud. Mr Meek by all accounts was a very successful business man and as such he was not likely to invest in anything that was likely to have led to failed investment.

They must also have been aware that their claims were going to be scrutinized by the scientific community - how would they have got away with producing these utterances through a artificial larynx or as the result of some sleight of hand voice projection

If his work( or anyone else's as for that matter ) cannot be replicated we should look elsewhere for answers and after we have exhausted every avenue of investigation, then and only then we have to declare that his results were probably genuine and not FAKED!!.
Of course this can only be possible if we put jealousy, suspicion,and nastiness aside, as these things appear to be on the increase at the moment within the field.
My advice to anyone researcher out there who is likely to make a discovery of importance is to keep it to yourself. What we are given is not meant to sway the skeptics,or certain researchers points of view, it is solely for the benefit of our technicians and their development.

Last edited on Jul 9th, 2013 08:45 AM by Domenic Capaldi

Posted: Oct 9th, 2013 08:33 PM
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
MrZeta

Hello,

While I dont agree totally with the last poster, it is important for researchers to get information out there in such a way as to allow it for submission if results are obtained; it may do some harm to the researcher but way less if it is not able to be scrutinized.

Why is it that I refuse to use Franks Box? Becuase I have no luck with it? The same or more so goes with that software program that mangles up words; honstly direct EVP voice mixed in with other people talking, using that as energy to be manipulated (?); for me as an electronics engineer that is too subjective; but Frank he is a electronics engineer or tech or HAM just like most of us; why does it only work for him? I cant see the sense in it but if it works for him it probly shouldnt be discounted.

I just cant waste my time on something that I consider uses other voices to get the voices I want.

Spiricom uses tone to effect the same; but at least it isnt garbled voices or sweeping radio stations; it is a little more tangible and produces energies just as well as anything; those tones represent phenome frequencies of standard voice inflections; how they ever thought of that years ago is beyond me and if I hadnt talked to Erland Babcock personally about Mr Meek I wouldnt have believed it.

Erland tried to use lasers and audio frequency sources in combination of sorts which I will be replicating soon; it is an idea worth looking into; I already have the equipment; it is the Spiricom setup to a new higher level!

This work involves extensive research to prove it's non-existence first; it is my intent to get clear voices as if I was talking to someone on a phone, not some garbled sweeping radio; sorry it doesnt work with me and people listneing to the same thing will get different meanings; not only that there is more problem with us ourselves causing the very thing we are trying to investigate !

Spiricom is like basic amplitude modulation in a sense; but I discovered something in one of my prototypes that really freaked me out: Pulse Width Modulated Audio! I knew it was there but I couldnt decode it; you simply dont get that from random radio interference; now that is what I am talking about; that is just one example.

I think Franks Box is just like chasing a dream that Spiricom was; but why was it created (?); there had to be a reason; this is why some of us pursue only what we seem to know.

I am just more theoretical and need to dig in to this stuff deeper to know that what I am seeing and hearing is the real deal.

Mr Zeta

Last edited on Oct 9th, 2013 08:35 PM by MrZeta

Posted: Oct 18th, 2013 08:48 AM
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Agreed.

We can take every invention ever known to man, and then every area as of yet undiscovered - and apply each and every one to work with spirit. Which translates to countless possibilities, as countless as creativity and invention is.

While I appreciate the sweep tuning method and have tested it and proved that spirit can influence it, I also do not view it as a preferred method to work with. I've thought along the same lines as you - in fact, if someone could transmit spiricom tones randomly and sweep across those, I have wondered at what kind of results that would offer. It goes without saying though that I respect and admire the dedication of anyone that gives immense effort to their work, including Frank - no matter how out of the box they are. I have learned to realize that there will always be miracles, and though science says everything is black and white, it really is not. So, anything is possible.

Look forward to your results. I may look up pulse width modulated audio.....

Thanks,
Keith

Current time is 05:50 AM  
ITC Bridge > Instrumental Transcommunication (ITC) > Dedicated SPIRICOM Forum > Spiricom 4.1: Another try Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1423 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 24 queries executed.