View single post by Les Harris
 Posted: Aug 13th, 2010 05:47 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Les Harris

Vicki,

It is depressing because it has been true of many fields of human endeavour for a long time and no less so in the history of science, possibly more so. 

There are many people who, if they had devoted as much time to research as they did to debunking, could well have contributed to the sum of human knowledge.  The fact that they didn’t confirms the fact that they are not capable of understanding or following scientific method.  The end result is that they detracted from the sum of human knowledge.

The description of debunkers’ tactics is not a parody or a satire, it is comprehensive fact and can come as a shock to anyone who has not been exposed to it.  As a (recently retired) engineer of some note in one of the world’s biggest companies, I have been!  Close friends, including engineers and scientists, have been.

You use the key word ‘enlightening’.  We tend to use the word ‘depressing’ as in been there, done that, don’t want to do it again.  

I regard EVP/ITC as a field of high interest and worthy of rigorous scrutiny, which precludes ‘lightening up’.  I can either treat it seriously or trivially.  Understanding the tactics of debunkers is a necessary component making assessments of this field.   If you feel that I am treating EVP/ITC too seriously, please say so and I won’t bother you any further.

Les