View single post by EVPfan
 Posted: Mar 30th, 2008 05:16 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
EVPfan

Hi fellow researchers,

some members of the EVP-ITC YahooGroup are currently experimenting with the SpeakJet chip in order to construct a device which produces random babble for use as an EVP sound source. This method seems to hold great potential, as first tests revealed.

The SpeakJet chip has 72 allophones (speech elements) and a number of sound effects stored onto it which can be assembled to words and sentences. It also has a demo mode in which it plays all stored sounds over and over. Someone from the group who had ordered this chip posted an audio example of the demo mode recently. 'Just for fun' I opened this file in Audition, deleted everything except for the 72 allophones, and stored the boundaries of each of the 72 allophones into the cue list (this is a list of sample offsets and lengths, embedded inside the wav file). Then I opened this allophones wav file in EVPmaker and made a test session with it. At first I heard only babble, but after a few attempts I suddenly heard a clear voice which seemed to say:

"I little sir help you with it."

I posted my results in the group, and some of the members there made EVPmaker sessions, using the wav file with the SpeakJet allophones as a sound source. It turned out that this combination also seems to have a great potential. The voices were often responding immediately to questions, and often they could even be heard during the recording.

If some of you would like to experiment with this method, you can download the allophones wav file here:

SpeakJetAllophones.wav

If used in EVPmaker, it's important to check the "Use Cue List" option.

Happy EVPing!

Stefan