View single post by Bruce
 Posted: Jan 5th, 2008 04:01 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Bruce

Chris,

I was wondering however if you were able to clarify this statement if possible, so I can fully understand it's meaning:

"The person using this box, through normal manipulation of their resonant cavities (throat, mouth, sinus and the nasal cavities for instance) is able to accentuate some tones and attenuate others to form an intelligible human voice sound."

In normal speech for a person with a normal set of vocal chords those vocal chords do there things:  they produce a buzzing sound at a specific fundamental frequency along with the harmonics of that fundamental; and provide a way for that fundamental frequency to be modulated to higher or lower frequencies: the buzzing sound they make can be turned on and off at will (providing for silence between the words we speak). 

We then alter the sound those factors provide into smooth intelligible voice sounds by altering the resonant cavities available to us to selectively attenuate or increase some of the harmonic frequencies.  For example, continuously say the letter "a" sound as in the word "day" for about 3 seconds than without stopping slowly change to saying the letter "o" sound as in the word "boat."  Pay close attention to the changes you make to shape of your throat, mouth, tongue and lips as you make the change in sound from "a" to "o."  Your throat, mouth, tongue and lips are forming resonant cavities.  The vocal chords, if held to the same basic frequecy, are providing almost exactly same fundamental frequency and set of harmonics.  By changing the shapes of your resonant cavities the sound produced by you changes from "a" to "o."  This even though their originate at the same fundamental frequency and harmonics.

The cancer patient buzz box cannot change its fundamental frequency or harmonic frequencies it produces, and it cannot be turned off and on between words like normal vocal chords.  So, the resulting sound the cancer patient can make with this box has a very limited (monotone) voice quality.

And with the cancer patient buzz box we hear the continous buzzing sound between words our own vocal chords would make if we could not turn off and on.

>>  It described the usage of the spiricom tone via the EVP assistant 1.0 software, so I want to be sure I understand what you are describing so I can closely replicate it's proper usage.  <<

Don't know much about EVP assistant or what it recommends.

Bruce