View single post by jtjones
 Posted: Dec 12th, 2014 04:37 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
jtjones

OK, now I'm getting irritated and I hope someone can help.

Stefan I got the circuits finished and tested them out last night to make sure everything worked as expected before I did any actual recording, and I'm at a loss over what I recorded.

This is almost the exact same thing I have recorded with the previous setup. I have changed magnets, diodes, shielding, amp circuits, filters, everything, and yet I get the same recorded results. The diodes I am using are germanium, since they work at very low voltages. I have the diode covered in heatshrink so that I can put the magnets as close as possible to the diode without touching it. I have the magnet / diode assembly covered in copper foil, inside a sealed plastic container, wrapped in aluminum tape (actual metal tape), covered in rubberized electrical wrap. Between those four materials there should be nothing getting through. And yes, they are grounded. The rubberized wrap and plastic should stop any low power, low frequency noise while the aluminum and copper should eliminate the mid to high frequencies... but yet there is the exact same recordings.

As I said I just got the thing put together and gave it a test run last night. I have the entire unit sitting on the floor in the basement next to an outside wall so that I can use the Earth itself to filter out as much as possible this time. I was just expecting to get normal diode hiss so I could adjust my EQ and see where the signal lands, now with this, I have no idea.

Does anyone have any ideas what this is??? Or do you have any other ideas for shielding? I'm open to just about anything right now.

Jeremy

Attachment: Dec12-2014-raw.mp3 (Downloaded 766 times)