View single post by Jan
 Posted: Aug 2nd, 2012 02:03 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jan

Hi Lance,

Trawler band is about 1.6 MHz to 3.3 MHz, i.e. between the top end of medium wave and the very bottom end of short wave. As you say, it's not much used by trawlers now. That set looks like it's British from mid 1950s. In those days trawlers chatted to each other using AM (amplitude modulation) transmissions, like any radio stations on medium wave (the AM band). Any shipping or coast stations using those frequencies now use SSB (single sideband) which cannot be resolved by your receiver, although it does sound a bit Donald-Duck like. I have met people who were convinced these sounds are from the spirit world. It seems odd to me that anyone should think "we don't know what these noises are so they must come from beyond the grave". But they got great comfort from that belief.

If your set is working then by now you'll have noticed that many of the broadcast stations (BBC World Service, Radio China International, etc.) cluster around the 49 metre band, 41mb, 19 mb. etc, with all kinds of strange noises in between, but the strength and dial locations vary throughout the day.

If you want to generate noise as a background to recording, then tune to any part of the dial where no stations can be heard. I don't think there should be anything special about any part of the short wave band. In fact if you just pull out the aerial and turn up the volume, the set's own internally generated noise should be sufficient. If you have mediumistic abilities, I doubt it matters how the noise source is generated.

Good luck,

Jan

Last edited on Aug 2nd, 2012 02:15 PM by Jan