ITC Bridge Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

ITC Bridge and iDigitalMedium.com are now VARANORMAL.COM Please visit: https://www.varanormal.com This site does not allow new registrations, and is now an online archive of a decade of Paranormal and ITC (Instrumental Transcommunication) experimentation from 2007 - 2016 We thank you for a wonderful decade! ~ Keith Clark & Ron Ruiz

Moderated by: Vicki Talbott, Keith Clark, fratka, EVPDave, ArizonaEvp Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Germanium Diodes  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Feb 6th, 2007 08:21 PM
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Edited March 31st, 2009

Someone has brought it to my attention that what I purchased were silicon diodes, not germanium - as labeled clearly on the box. Please note that any posts from me in this thread are accidentally misrepresented as results from a germanium diode, when they are in fact, from a silicon diode.

Hello,

Today I whipped out the germanium diodes again. I tried them once or twice months ago, with limited to no success.

The variation in sound was caused by my hand contacting the germanium diode during the recording.

Keith

****Added 6-7-09 - While listening to this file, several years later, I hear at the end of the clip "he's stroking the pickup."

Attachment: Feb6 645pm germanium diodes -clip2.mp3 (Downloaded 1716 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Feb 6th, 2007 10:36 PM
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Here's another one. The diode was left alone during this recording.

http://www.itcbridge.com/temp/diode2.mp3

Keith

Posted: Feb 7th, 2007 09:10 AM
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Vicki Talbott

Hi Keith,

I'm interested in how to do this.  Have you already explained it elsewhere on the board?  How do you set up such an experiment and what are geranium diodes (sorry, but I am no expert at other than the basics:confused:)?  Also, Do you know anything about the photodiode set up, where you replace the microphone in a digital recorder with one of those?  I think dave and Margaret from AAEVP have done this.  Thanks, Vicki

Posted: Feb 7th, 2007 09:31 PM
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Vicki,

Unfortunately, I'm no electronics wizard myself. I try to learn as I go. Perhaps someone will be able to assist us with the specifics.

I'll give you some of the information that I have today........will finish this post this weekend.

First - two considerations. This clip was filtered "live" with DCSix. Also, the audio is so low that you will most likely need some type of mixer or amplifier to be able to turn it up loud enough to hear it. It's highly likely that if you put it together incorrectly you may not be able to hear anything at all. Perhaps some computers are able to amplify it enough.

As far as what a germanium dioe is and how it works....I don't have much information, as I don't know yet. Here's what they look like.

Keith

Attached Image (viewed 4136 times):

diode.jpg

Posted: Feb 7th, 2007 09:40 PM
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

The next step is choosing what kind of cable you are going to use, depending on what you have and/or what you are going to plug it into.

Here's a picture of cables which you will probably use. You'll need one that you aren't attached to because we're going to cut one end off.

The one on the top is a standard 1/8 inch plug - the kind you use for your walkman, headphones, and such.
The one on the bottom is a 1/4 inch plug - the kind used for guitars and such.

Of course, an adapter will easily swith from one to the other - what matters is how the cable is made.
          If you were to use the 1/8 inch cable, when you cut it you will most likely have a red and black cable inside, side by side. The black will be ground, and the red will be where the signal comes in.
          If you were to use the 1/4 inch cable, when you cut it you will have wires underneath the first layer of outer sheath which will be considered the ground. They will most likely run all around the outer sheath. After you have neatly twisted and separated these ground wires, you will need to shear the inner sheath to find the wire used for the signal - the one you'll attach the germanium diode to.

Here's a pic of cables.

Keith

Attached Image (viewed 4471 times):

cable.jpg

Posted: Feb 7th, 2007 09:48 PM
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Here's a picture of diode markings. Diodes only allow the signal to flow one way, so it does matter which way it's pointing, or which end the band/marking is on.

I used to have the schematic that is out there for germanium diodes and ITC - I have to find it again. I'm pretty sure it's on Worlditc.org. If I find it again, I'll let you know.

Keith

Attached Image (viewed 5787 times):

diodemarkings.jpg

Posted: Feb 7th, 2007 10:02 PM
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

And now for a picture of what I'm using. It's definitely a hack job at best......probably not the proper way to do it, but it's how the file is recorded(and what I'm listening to right now)

As you can see, the ground wire of the cable is screwed onto the metal of the little project box. It's supposed to be grounded...........mine isn't.

A short antenna is soldered to the diode on one end, and the other end of the diode is soldered to the positive, or signal wires of the audio cable.

This is the most basic hillbilly way to set it up..........there are other diagrams out there which include various other electronic components such as coils, for tuning and adjustments.

Keith

Attached Image (viewed 4364 times):

setup1.jpg

Posted: Feb 8th, 2007 03:33 AM
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Vicki Talbott

Hi Keith,

Thanks so much for all the info and pictures.  For someone who is not an "electronics expert" you know a lot.  I have a friend who might be able to easily help me out here if I can get him away from his own experiments.:)  Thanks so much for the starter info.  Vicki

Posted: Feb 9th, 2007 08:11 PM
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
lkimberley

Great Capture!!!!

I will try this tomorrow after I go to the states to get a diode!

Also, The DCsix? I have figured out how to use it live....Maybe you can help me and Vicki figure that out! Have agreat Saturday.

Will post on Sunday.

Laura

Posted: Feb 12th, 2007 11:27 PM
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

New diode recording today.

Keith

Attachment: Feb12 955pm diode.mp3 (Downloaded 1750 times)

You have chosen to ignore fil. click Here to view this post

Posted: Oct 11th, 2007 05:15 AM
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
fratka

Your right fil! I can hear them too!

Regards,

Frank R.

Posted: Oct 12th, 2007 07:43 AM
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Vicki Talbott

Hi Mathias, Keith and all,

Mathias, I can hear those as well.  That is extremely interesting and very fortunate that you happened to listen to Keith's recording and caught these utterances.  I also wonder why they spoke in German.  I've had them speak to me only in languages I can understand/expect (at least as far as I know, but now I wonder--maybe some of those indecipherable ones were in a language I don't speak).  Thanks for posting these and sharing your interpretations.  By the way, your English is very good.  Vicki

Posted: Oct 12th, 2007 11:26 AM
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Vicki Talbott

Hi Mathias,

I think you are right in speculating that they knew someone would in time listen to and understand these statements.  I have gotten utterances that were in English but made no sense to me, only to later find out that they were meant for someone who came along shortly afterward to listen and comment.  Vicki

Posted: Oct 13th, 2007 07:01 PM
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Mathias,

I found what you posted very interesting....and your English seems pretty good to me!  I don't have the ability to understand German, but I thank you for sharing it with us. It's true that receiving something in another language is not something every experimenter would consider.

Thanks (& Nice to meet you),

Keith 

Posted: Mar 26th, 2009 08:19 PM
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
RHGHAngel

Hey Hey!!:biggrin: How are you today? Well, I hope. I have a Question or 2 or 3 for you maybe you can help me out. LOL I am Confused on how to Build the Germanium Diode recorder. Let me just start by telling you what I did. I Cut off the Microphone from my Mini Cassette recorder Mic. I attached a Germanium Diode to the white wire... It was the only wire in there other than the wire surrounding it. I am assuming that is the Grounding Wire. In any case, I have no way to Solder, so I twisted the wire onto the Germanium Diode. On the other End of the Diode, I attached Another wire assuming this was supposed to act as an Antenna? The Germanium Diode has a Black dot on one end. That is supposed to be facing in the Direction of the Jack that you plug into the recorder Right? Or do I have this All Wrong? LOL Please Help Me

~Angel~
:blink:

Posted: Mar 28th, 2009 08:44 AM
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi,

Twisting the wire may work, but is not as good as soldering.........I'm not going to be much good as far as technical help in this area, but I'll send you someone who is.

Keith

Posted: Mar 28th, 2009 08:13 PM
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
joecioppi

RHGHAngel wrote: Hey Hey!!:biggrin: How are you today? Well, I hope. I have a Question or 2 or 3 for you maybe you can help me out. LOL I am Confused on how to Build the Germanium Diode recorder. Let me just start by telling you what I did. I Cut off the Microphone from my Mini Cassette recorder Mic. I attached a Germanium Diode to the white wire... It was the only wire in there other than the wire surrounding it. I am assuming that is the Grounding Wire. In any case, I have no way to Solder, so I twisted the wire onto the Germanium Diode. On the other End of the Diode, I attached Another wire assuming this was supposed to act as an Antenna? The Germanium Diode has a Black dot on one end. That is supposed to be facing in the Direction of the Jack that you plug into the recorder Right? Or do I have this All Wrong? LOL Please Help Me

~Angel~
:blink:

Hi Angel,

I'm a disabled electrical engineer who has been studying the paranormal for the last few years. The "Raudive" detector is an untuned crystal diode detector that folks have been connecting to recorders lately to pick up EVP voices.

The use of the germanium diode has been popular because it has a low conduction voltage threshold which allows it to detect low level radio noise. The radio noise or atmospheric static is rectified by the diode and coupled to the recorder input. Since the noise currents have to pass through the diode to detect EVP sounds to record, the diode has to be connected to other components that provide a path for the signals to follow.

A radio choke coil, diode, and resistor form a circular path for signal currents picked up by a small antenna. The diode detects sounds included in the noise and the sound signal appears across the resistor. The resistor is connected between the center wire of your mic cable and the shield braid return around the outside. That signal is then recorded by the recorder.

I've attached a mspaint drawing of the connection diagram. I've built this into a mic plug with miniature components for other experimenters like yourself.

Joe

Attached Image (viewed 7331 times):

raudive detector.bmp

Posted: Mar 30th, 2009 02:15 PM
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
RHGHAngel

You Are So Wonderful!! Thank You so Much!! I am Originally from PA... Clearfield .. Have been Living in SC since I was 15. Thank You for your Help! TY as Well Keith!

~Angel~

Posted: Apr 2nd, 2009 11:11 PM
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Slider2732

Further to Joe's explanation. Germanium diode's are usually found in crystal radio's, radio's with no battery or other power supply. The diode itself is what might be termed porous to radio waves and therefore really helps such circuits detect radio frequencies.
Digital circuits and most functions of any device these days is based on 0's and 1's...a device with an analog, varying, property is perhaps much more likely to give us a greater chance of successful contact through random receptions. In some regards, the germanium inside the diode may be thought of as being open to spirit communication and hence why they are used in such experiments.
Diode's let a signal go in one direction and not in the other. Used in circuits of every type, every diode, of any type can display strange properties. Did you know that standard LED's can act as photodiode's ! they will pass small currents based on the light level near them.
Photodiode's can be found in solar cells and also in PC mice. They are similarly widely used devices. The reactive material used in a diode usually dictates its intended use.

The secret to spirit contact using electronics is, I believe, within the P-N junctions of many components like diodes. On the wiki for photodiode's is this interesting text:
"Since transistors and ICs are made of semiconductors, and contain P-N junctions, almost every active component is potentially a photodiode. Many components, especially those sensitive to small currents, will not work correctly if illuminated, due to the induced photocurrents. In most components this is not desired, so they are placed in an opaque housing. Since housings are not completely opaque to X-rays or other high energy radiation, these can still cause many ICs to malfunction due to induced photo-currents."

Imagine you are out at a cemetary and you have your voice recorder running. On returning home and analysing the recording, you hear a voice that wasn't heard at the time.
The EVP may have been caused through diode leakage/reception characteristics ! You don't hear it at the time, it doesn't trip any auto recording feature and yet it is there. Between the microphone and final recording there are possibly thousands of diodes, certainly many on the circuit board that are glass and see through. These diodes are, I believe, a possibility for relaying the spirit voice information to the recording stage.

Last edited on Apr 2nd, 2009 11:20 PM by Slider2732

Posted: Jun 2nd, 2009 08:00 AM
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
eyewave

from where can I buy this diode?

Posted: Jun 2nd, 2009 09:31 AM
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
eyewave

are germanium diodes 1N60 good?

Posted: Jun 2nd, 2009 11:44 AM
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
joecioppi

http://www.scitoyscatalog.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SC&Category_Code=R

Posted: Jun 17th, 2009 01:30 AM
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
eyewave

is there a picture somewhere of how o conenct the diode(which side to conenct to the microphone wire and which side to the antenna?

Posted: Jun 17th, 2009 01:49 PM
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
joecioppi

In this case the diode may be installed in either direction and still act as a detector.

Posted: Jun 22nd, 2009 04:38 AM
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
eyewave

o ok since I read that its has a one way flow, I asked

Posted: Jun 23rd, 2009 07:48 AM
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
eyewave

and is white noise needed with the germanium diode too? it only happned once that Irecorded vocies with only white noise-it didn't happen again -- and its interesting to note that when I tried to listen to the recording again, it was changed-it was multiplied (repeated many times) -- we'll see with the diode how it goes

Posted: Jul 29th, 2009 03:01 AM
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
eyewave

I tried using the diode, but with no results --- guess i does not work for me or its connected wrong

Posted: Dec 16th, 2009 10:27 AM
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
mikesndbs

Hi

How important is the value of the inductor, can any kind of coil be used please?

Posted: Dec 17th, 2009 06:26 AM
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
joecioppi

Mike,

The Raudive detector circuit is a simple radio receiver that responds to a broad band of radio frequencies and rectifies the amplitude variations. The coil is an inductor wound on an insulated form that blocks radio signals but is easily conductive of direct currents and low audio frequencies. The value of the coil is selected to tune radio frequencies present in atmospheric noise. More than one frequency appears at the antenna at one time. An AM radio that is tuned to an unused frequency will detect noise from a narrower band of frequencies in the same way and amplify the audible hiss.

The germanium diode detects audio frequencies in the noise and the audio appears across the resistor at the recorder cable input. This is an audible hiss that has spirit voices in it. The recorder records the audible sounds for future analysis and playback. I believe that natural noise created by ocean surf or rush of wind also can contain voices and electronics is not necessary to create them.

I have used the rush of current through a semiconductor junction to create the same random (white noise) sound. Voices or intelligence can be detected. No radio signals are needed in this case but voices still are present.

Joe

Posted: Dec 17th, 2009 12:58 PM
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
mikesndbs

Hi Jo

As a radio person of some years (SW VHF/UHF) I understand the principles.

I have today ordered a few RF inductors, various values from 50uH to 680.

I'll construct a small portable unit that I can take out with me away from electrical noise.

Here I get a 50 Hz buzz.

I have heard the hiss, I have been using a small LM386 amp to power a speaker.

I am not yet sure how spirit comms can take place, I imagine they use a mode unknown to us, what that is! is the big question I guess.

Thanks for the tips

Mike

Posted: Dec 17th, 2009 02:43 PM
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
joecioppi

Mike,

Experimenters interested in earth sounds have constructed receivers to pick up ambient waves in the audio frequencies. Power line fields interfere with reception and designs have input filters aimed at the suppression of power line signals and harmonics. I consider these designs in the same category as EMF recorder setups.

The earth sounds  people have heard singing and voices with these devices.

Joe

Last edited on Dec 17th, 2009 02:46 PM by joecioppi

Posted: Dec 18th, 2009 01:23 AM
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
mikesndbs

Hi Joe

Yes I am fascinated by that concept as well!

ELF? Apparently if you have a long length of twin shorted at the far end, laid out on the ground and then connected to a laptops mic input, you can record some of these sounds.

I have a 50m run of speaker cable ready to try this idea out.

At the moment my laptop makes too much of its own noise LOL, I am going to see how my wifes one gets on.

I then plan to take it all to some woods that are a good distance away from houses and power lines and try it out!

Of course, just maybe spirit communications could take place!

After all, this would seem to be a very natural progression, in that we use these frequencies now to speak etc, maybe we continue to do so once we pass over, and simply use them as electromagnetic instead of physical vibrations????

Who knows.

Thanks

Mike

Posted: Dec 18th, 2009 08:28 AM
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
mikesndbs

Hi Joe

Been thinking about this today and have done some hook ups to check.

If I remove the choke from the diagram and instead use the 100K resistor in its place so as to give me a circuit, I hear mostly a 50hz hum from the mains here in the UK.

Could I filter this using passive components, but still keep this 'sniffer' sensitive to all other fqs?

Thanks

Mike

Current time is 05:32 PM Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
ITC Bridge > Instrumental Transcommunication (ITC) > Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP) > Germanium Diodes Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2226 seconds (24% database + 76% PHP). 36 queries executed.