ITC Bridge Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

ITC Bridge and iDigitalMedium.com are now VARANORMAL.COM Please visit: https://www.varanormal.com This site does not allow new registrations, and is now an online archive of a decade of Paranormal and ITC (Instrumental Transcommunication) experimentation from 2007 - 2016 We thank you for a wonderful decade! ~ Keith Clark & Ron Ruiz

Moderated by: lance, Keith Clark, ArizonaEvp
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Getting past feelings of laziness  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Oct 25th, 2008 09:29 PM
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
rjisinspired

I couldn't find a general thread dedicated to this post so I chose here since I'm looking for advice but not in communicating with spirits.

I don't think laziness is the word, couldn't think of how to describe the feeling.  This coming December I was offered an instructor position and this would be my first time doing anything like this.  It's a volunteer board and mine would be on evp.

I have the stuff to do the lesson material but I'm more of a visual or graphics guy.  I am realizing that writing up text for this evp class is hard to put into my own words and a part of me feels like what I put down would closely match what other people have written up so it feels like copying since I find it hard to put things into words even though I know what I am thinking.  Plus there are things I'm not clear on as much and I would only be copying from someone else and I don't want to do that  This is making me either put off working or working slowly.

There isn't really much to what I would put in the lessons and I would be happy if it was like a side-course.  spreading out in 10 week blocks is difficult.  I could get into spiritual topics but the board I will be at has that covered through other lessons.

I don't want to be incomplete but then again I don't need to overload.  Anyone have any advice on this situation? 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Oct 26th, 2008 11:44 PM
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Slider2732

First things first...is it a real people tutoring class or an internet based one ? I was confused about the 'board' part.

One way to tackle anything that just has one ambling around in semi darkness, is to get the facts part and then use your own strengths to make those facts known, through the tutoring methods.
With EVP, there are certain rules and understandings, generally accepted by the paranormal community.Part of one lesson may be to have a question and answer session, where people may enquire about just why something is as it is. All has come about over years of research by praranormal investigators and the rules made.
Such things as....
Fresh tapes every time - for motor driven recorders the chance of something not being erased before data goes on is possible. Fresh tapes negate that.
Using fresh batteries on each recording session, especially with motor driven recorders - to minimise the effects of slowly depleting batteries that may give slurred speech and hence a false positive (false positive being another area of discussion).
Using a mic external to the recorder - to cut out motor noise internal to the recorder.
Keeping recording sessions to manageable time periods, unless the location calls for running a recorder constantly - remember, someone has to listen back to all that and ear fatigue has to be considered.
Multiple recorders when possible - what may have been heard on one, may be caught clearer on another or not at all.
Making sure to note when people are present, perhaps including location at the time and certainly time, date, weather conditions, location at the start of recording.
Listening back with good quality headphones - computer speakers suffer from ambient noise, usually little bottom end and the treble is often muted. Great for Halo, not so good for fine detail work.
Some people use the technique of, when listening back, to make a note of the tape counter position at each possible EVP. The context of the recording can be better judged if the tape is left playing. On completion of the tape, those points are wound back to for another listen.
When posting for the internet - MP3 is preferred for its filesize and sharing possibilities. The EVP should have 5 seconds before and 5 seconds afterward, to help with context and ambient noises.

Highlighting the various differences between motor driven and digital recorders would make a good lesson.
Types of microphone, with audio examples would be good. Within such a lesson would be methods of negating wind noise, putting foam over it, a piece of tape over etc.
Class A, B, C versions of the same EVP would really help people to distinguish between these often mentioned loose crtiteria of recorded voice (use Audacity or similar to make the quality worse/hissier for the B and C).
Computer based audio enhancing software would make another. Various tools people use and how to use them. The speed and reverse features of Audacity for examples.

To introduce video and graphics elements to the tutoring, it might be an idea to show various types of recorder. Brands and features being highlighted. Personal experience of those recorders and the experiences of people in the field of them.
Also, video of people actually recording for EVP. A lot about the subject for newbies is within the approach and working method. If people can see others recording, analysing and readying results for public appraisal then it may take a lot of the mystery away from the subject :)

Last edited on Oct 26th, 2008 11:48 PM by Slider2732

Posted: Oct 27th, 2008 12:35 AM
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
rjisinspired

Thanks slider.

It is an online lesson board.

Equipment has been on my mind to use.  I had been going over audio formats both universal and alternative and how they do their work with compression and stuff and also on how to use uncompressed files for real session files and why so and the importance of archiving.

Experimenting with analog recorders is important.  Through my experience some recorders can get away without using an external mic and motor and electronic noise isn't as bad, while others need an external mic.  At the beginning and end of tapes are dropouts that gradually fade in near end, fade out at the beginning of tapes.  On a waveform these end and start places are easily seen as quick spikes and a rise/drop in amplitude.  These drop outs have been mistaken for evps by some people and I can recall pointing the phenomenon out in the past.  When these are seen on the waveform you can tell if the start or end of the tape had occurred.

I guess I knew more than I thought I did.  I've been so occupied with being incomplete that I lost sight of the picture.

Posted: Oct 27th, 2008 09:25 AM
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Slider2732

Hopefully some inspiration then rj ;)

Waveform pictures would be good inclusions to demonstrate the tape dropouts. Surprising that people would include either the very beginning or very end of a tape, but, as always, if someone doesn't know then they don't know!

Was reminded of something of a rule by my wife, while talking of ideas for your project. Make sure its fun for you to do and it will be fun for people to participate in.
Also, the weighting of evidence and techniques. I'm not sure if you've sat in on many online courses (I know I haven't), but a study of presentations that work and those that don't would probably benefit. There are lots of free ebooks around and the thought is you might wish to download a few, see how the presentation of a subject is constructed within them and then use the outlines of the best presented for setting yours up. Similarly, if you enjoyed it and it appealed, then it probably would to others :)

Is advertising important to the course ?
When and where is it ?
On that same asking point for the potential audience would be 'what is the course to include?', which really kind of motivates to get a list set up. From the list of inclusions the whole thing can be filled out with your course itself.
Could be an idea to say to the self 'well it will obviously have....' and there you have it, instant inclusions.  

Last edited on Oct 27th, 2008 09:27 AM by Slider2732

Current time is 01:45 AM  
ITC Bridge > Ask a Question, Give an Answer > Opinions, advice, techniques, software, and methodology > Getting past feelings of laziness Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1194 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 25 queries executed.