ITC Bridge Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

ITC Bridge and iDigitalMedium.com are now VARANORMAL.COM Please visit: https://www.varanormal.com This site does not allow new registrations, and is now an online archive of a decade of Paranormal and ITC (Instrumental Transcommunication) experimentation from 2007 - 2016 We thank you for a wonderful decade! ~ Keith Clark & Ron Ruiz

Moderated by: Keith Clark, fratka, ArizonaEvp
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Spiricom Mark VI Initial Block Diagram  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Nov 20th, 2007 03:03 PM
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jeff

Here is the initial block diagram for Mark VI.  This is an untested plan, so please do not assume it is correct....yet!  I also invite anyone for comments and questions.  This is how the project will grow!

Please scroll down and download the pdf.  Then read my explanation below:

The acoustic microphone is for the contact on the physical (our) side, which I will call the interviewer, to be recorded.  The noise gate just after the mic will only allow the spoken words of the interviewer through to the mixer.  When the interviewer is not speaking, the noise gate will close, isolating the mic from the mixer so as not to allow undesired sounds from the local environment into the audio system.

The mixer is an 8 channel audio mixer of recording studio quality.  Its outputs will feed the headphones,  recorders (one analog, one Digital Audio Tape), and audio power amplifier to loudspeakers.  The mixer is also fed to the computer for signal analysis, and vocal regeneration.

The Spirit side of Mark VI is the Vocal Synthesizer fed through a parametric equalizer, to shape the voice to sound "real".  The output of the para-EQ is sent into the audio modulator input of a radio frequency (RF) generator.  The output of the composite RF will be sent to an antenna located inside a Faraday cage.  This is where the actual interface, or impingment of Spirit is assumed to take place, but is unknown at the present.

Inside the Faraday cage is another antenna.  That antenna is fed into a radio receiver that is tuned to the RF generator's frequency.  The receiver detects the RF; strips the RF out of the composite; and leaves only the audio from the Spirit.  That audio from the receiver is fed into another noise gate.  The purpose of this noise gate is to prevent unwanted 'drone' (the background buzz that is heard from Mark IV) when the Spirit is not speaking.  It works that same way the noise gate controlling the acoustic mic does.  The output of the noise gate is fed into the mixer, which blends the interviewer and Spirit together into the recorders.

Finally, the recorders are fed back into the mixer for audio playback.

Not shown on the diagram are some "test" settings.  One test will be to test the Faraday cage for integrity so that no energy from the physical world can enter into it; and no energy from within the cage can escape.  I'll explain that one later.

Further refinements in the working are a digital memory for frequencies that have been found to work well with particular Spirits.  Once many solid contacts have been made, the frequencies will be logged and placed into the memory for instant re-selection by the interviewer.  Maybe we'll call it Select-A-Spirit.  Or something....

Now, I welcome all comments and questions!

Blessings!

Jeff

Attachment: Spiricom Mark VI.pdf (Downloaded 1462 times)

Last edited on Nov 20th, 2007 04:46 PM by Jeff

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Nov 20th, 2007 09:27 PM
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jeff

Thank you Keith, for moving those posts here.

Jeff

Posted: Nov 21st, 2007 07:27 AM
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Jeff,

I enjoyed your flowchart, it sounds very inventive and creative. I liked the idea of noise gates - first I had heard of it in reference to Spiricom. What are your thoughts for the parametric eq output that is fed into the generator. I mean, what type of signal/frequency(ies) did you have in mind??

Keith

Posted: Nov 21st, 2007 08:43 AM
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jeff

Keith Clark wrote: Hi Jeff,

I enjoyed your flowchart, it sounds very inventive and creative. I liked the idea of noise gates - first I had heard of it in reference to Spiricom. What are your thoughts for the parametric eq output that is fed into the generator. I mean, what type of signal/frequency(ies) did you have in mind??

Keith

Thanks for the comments Keith!  The parametric eq may not even be necessary since this system is based on a vocal synthesizer instead of the 13 continuous tones that Mark IV used.  The thought, however, for the para-eq was simply to have the capability on hand to adjust for unexpected rich harmonics, buzzes, boominess, shrillness, whatever artifacts that might be present, but undesirable, without affecting the overall sound.

The frequencies for the RF generator are completely anyone's guess at this point.  I was considering starting around 29.575 MHz, which is the frequency the Fab 3 used on Mark IV.  It would be great if some of our members who have personal steady contacts in the spiritual world, ask their contact which frequency(ies) would be a desirable start.  That's really how Metascience approached it; and many contacts with many spirit team members were accomplished.

If we are led to higher frequencies than 20 GHz, we will probably move into the non-visible light spectrum and modulate a light wave, instead of a radio frequeny wave.  Which is easy to do.

We'll see.  I think we can still do it with RF since Mark IV was so successful; and EVP works with RF all the time.

Jeff

Posted: Nov 26th, 2007 04:02 PM
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jeff

Just a status announcement:  The RF generator arrived today!  :biggrin:  Now, I have to build the antennas and the Faraday enclosure.  When those are completed and tested, I will be packaging the system up to send to members of the Circle for initial testing. 

We're not far away!  After data has been gathered, the entire system will be put together for live experimentation.
Note to the Circle:  You have been reading the Technical Manual, haven't you? :wink:

Please offer your comments and questions. 

Blessings!

Jeff

Last edited on Nov 26th, 2007 06:01 PM by Jeff

You have chosen to ignore Debbie. click Here to view this post

Posted: Nov 26th, 2007 05:53 PM
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jeff

Debbie wrote: Hi Jeff,

This is very exciting!! 

:)  Debbie

Hi Debbie!  Yes it is!  Thanks for the response!   You were the first to offer help in testing; so you will be the first to test the first section.  :) 

(did you read any of the Technical Manual? :unsure:)

Jeff

You have chosen to ignore Debbie. click Here to view this post

Posted: Dec 5th, 2007 08:05 PM
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jeff

Hi all!  Here's an update:  I'm awaiting the arrival of some high frequency patch cables.  These are RF patches that have BNC to BNC connectors on each end.  See below for an explanation of BNC.  I could easily make them myself, as I have plenty of RG-8X cable, but I am currently working on the transmitting antenna and Faraday enclosure.  The transmitting antenna and the Faraday enclosure are the toughest stage in the Spiricom system.  All, but the transmitting antenna, Faraday enclosure, and vocal synth are here; and working properly.

You're probably wondering about the receiving antenna.  Receiving antennas do not require resonation (impedance matching) nearly as close as a transmitting antenna, so I have that one figured out. 

To quickly review:  Antennas are a component of an electrical-magnetic resonant circuit.  Their size is a function of the frequency of the resonance, in our case 29.575 MHz.  A transmitter requires a certain load at its resonant frequency, usually 50 Ohms; but based on the RF generator or transmitter, the required load may be as high as 600 Ohms.  The transmitter antenna offers that load...if it is the correct length.  The antenna can be of a length of a harmonic of the fundamental (29.575 MHz) frequency.  In other words, the harmonic may be 20 times the fundamental (29.575*20)= 591.5 MHz.  The antenna can then be calculated on the 591.5 MHz frequency, making that antenna much shorter, but resonant, with supporting passive devices such as inductors and capacitors, and this isn't a problem.

So here's where I'm at:  I am creating a resonant antenna that does not require much space, and will be enclosed in a Faraday cage.  Fortunately, I am not broadcasting.  I don't need much power; nor do I need a full sized resonant antenna.  I only need to resonate at the specified frequency at this time.  If I need to resonate at a wider bandwidth, and I know I will in the not-so-distant future, then I will create a de-tuned antenna that will resonate, with small losses, over a larger bandwidth, say 20 MHz to 50 MHz.  Then, as we progress, a multiple antenna array can be created to cover a very large bandwidth, as Mark VI was originally designed:  30 MHz - 20 GHz, or more.  For now, these are baby steps, for good reason.  We must scientifically document our data; and procedures, just as the Metascience Foundation did. 

Please  offer your comments and questions!

BNC stands for Bayonet Neill-Concelman.  A short explanation, with pictures, can be seen here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_connector

Jeff

Posted: Dec 6th, 2007 07:25 AM
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Jeff,

I'm staying tuned.

Keith

Posted: Dec 6th, 2007 03:01 PM
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jeff

Keith Clark wrote: Hi Jeff,

I'm staying tuned.

Keith

:biggrin:  Thanks Keith!

Jeff

Posted: Dec 13th, 2007 11:21 AM
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jeff

Next update:  After much study, design, and encouraging words from my friends here on this forum, I have finally come up with the transmiting/receiving antenna design to start with :cool:.  I will not bore you all with too much explanation, but a little is in order.

Based on the output impedance of the RF generator, and supporting devices, I had to find a resonant circuit that would match that impedance.  Yet, since the antennas will be enclosed in the Faraday cage, I had to limit their size, and the interaction between the antennas and the inside of the cage.  This, as was stated before, was the first hurdle.

Think of throwing a ping pong ball into a fairly small steel box.  That energy stored into the ball from the thrower, will dissipate by the ball bouncing all around inside that box, right?  The result will be the same with electromagnetic energy when released inside that enclosure.  The leading edge of the wave will strike an inside surface of the box, and ricochet in another angle to some other inside surface of the box.  That will cause another ricochet, and another, and another.... etc., until the energy has dissipated.

You can see that as the wave leaves the transmitting antenna, the receiving antenna will receive not only the transmitted signal; but several other "phantom" signals a very short time later.  This causes a great confusion of what exactly the receiving antenna was supposed to hear in the first place, resulting in a very muddy, and incoherant reception, as you can guess.

This called for the "damping" effect.  Damping is the science of stopping energy.  To help in understanding, your home audio entertainment amplifier that drives your speakers has what is called a "Damping Factor".  This is an electronic method that forces the amplifier to stop your speakers, woofers to be exact, from loosely ringing after a low note from your audio source has been reproduced.  Let's say the sound is a simple thump from a kick drum.  Without the Damping Factor, your woofer would produce the 'kick' sound, but just keep vibrating until the suspension arrangement of the woofer cone stopped the cone from moving back and forth.  That would be:  THUMP WOWWOWWOWwowowow.  Nice huh?  Well, here's the good news:  Because of the Damping Factor, your amplifier has the ability to stop your woofer cone from moving after the 'kick' sound immediately, so all you hear is the 'thump'.  This is what I had to factor into the Faraday and antenna relationship.   WHEW!!!! :scared:

That was tough enough, but when damping is added, impedance changes, so I had to recalculate how to match impedance!   

Well, design is finished, now I have to build the thing.  By the way friends, please be patient; this, as all things, requires money, and with Christmas rapidly approaching, I must consider my loved ones for gifts and such, so I won't be building until after the new year.  Until then, we must keep in contact, and let me know if I can be of help in any other area of EVP/ITC as well.

Many blessings to all of you!

Jeff

Posted: Feb 10th, 2008 01:56 PM
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Jeff

Update:  I'm still working on a better functioning Faraday arrangement.  Even with all of the calculations and physical testing, the device still is not yielding the signal results I have intended.  Because of the frequency used, the antenna lengths are just too large for good use.  That design is now shelved.

The good news, is I have came up with a new thought:  Antennas have a very small bandwidth; are large (at this frequency); and require some power to excite.  Instead of a transmit and receive antenna, why not replace both of them with a RF transformer?  The transformer has two sets of windings:  Primary, and secondary.  RF transformers are typically used for impedance matching in RF devices, between stages; but can be used as a RF modulation stage.  Transformers also have a very wide bandwidth!

So!  The Faraday enclosure would simply have BNC connectors on the outside for connection to the RF generator; frequency counter (if desired), and RF receiver.  The inside would just have the RF transformer mounted with the primary winding connected to the RF generator (via BNC); and the secondary winding connected (via BNC) to the receiver (no antenna on the receiver, like a Hallicrafter's).

Thats' it!  You now have an RF field inside the enclosure that would respond to frequencies from 150 kHz to 500 MHz (depending on the transformer purchased).

RF transformers can be procured from ebay, or any ham radio outlet for very little $ too!  I saw one on ebay for $5 plus shipping.  Total of $12!

Even the damping factor would not apply much since the primary and secondary windings are would right next to each other.  Time delays won't matter.

Unfortunately, time for construction has become a real commodity for me, and I will not be able to construct this for a while.  If anyone else can help; and have the time and tools to construct, I would be happy to supervise!  Otherwise, we'll have to wait a bit.

Best regards,

Jeff

Posted: Mar 8th, 2008 10:29 PM
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Slider2732

Just a simple question...
I have a couple of years experience of arcade machine monitors, which have a bare chassis. They need an isolating transformer to not frazzle a technician (or wannabe technician who may eventually become a technician if he uses one). While the isolating transformer is known to work, would it also work in a device such as yours, to seperate the send from the receive ?

Posted: Mar 9th, 2008 10:08 AM
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Jeff

No, Mark, it will not.  The reason is an isolation transformer only has a bandwidth of 50 - 60 Hz.  At RF frequencies, the energy would not appear at the secondary windings.  Like you mentioned, an isolation transformer is placed in line with the mains to isolate hot from chassis ground.  Some of the older arcade, and television sets had no power supply transformers, and the hot leg went directly into the power supply for rectification; while the neutral leg went directly to chassis ground.  These units often did not have a ground lug on them, and could be inserted to a power receptacle either way.  While the television, or whatever device would still work, the chassis was actually hot in one of the polarity positions.  While this wasn't dangerous in an enclosed, isolated case or enclosure, it was quite dangerous when the enclosure around the chassis was opened for service, thereby exposing the energized chassis to a service technician.

Sorry for the long explanation, but the short answer remains no, because of the very narrow bandwidth of the transformer.

Jeff

Posted: Mar 9th, 2008 08:38 PM
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Slider2732

Ok, thanks, was just a wonder while I have one.
Hope you can forgive the errors, as some of these areas are quite fresh for myself.

I used a small transformer today, salvaged from a 9V answering machine. While the unit was 9V, I decided the transformer was suspicious in its inclusion. Surely a 7805 voltage regulator or other methods would be neater, so, there was something to this transformer.
In any case, then I set about interrupting the speaker output from a radio, by putting the transformer in line with the signal. No prizes for guessing that the audio got through, but was a reduced amount...I guess I had to just try it.
What I think i'm trying to say is that i'd like to test out parts of your building guidelines as written above, while I have time on my hands, but that I am learning some principles as I go.

A good Faraday cage would be something else to get right, but don't worry, I wouldn't use our microwave oven lol

Current time is 08:02 AM  
ITC Bridge > Instrumental Transcommunication (ITC) > Dedicated SPIRICOM Forum > Spiricom Mark VI Initial Block Diagram Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1293 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 23 queries executed.