ITC Bridge Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
ITC Bridge > Ask a Question, Give an Answer > The Technical Tower - A panel of forum members > Need help understanding/brainstorming and replication of "California Experiment"

ITC Bridge and iDigitalMedium.com are now VARANORMAL.COM Please visit: https://www.varanormal.com This site does not allow new registrations, and is now an online archive of a decade of Paranormal and ITC (Instrumental Transcommunication) experimentation from 2007 - 2016 We thank you for a wonderful decade! ~ Keith Clark & Ron Ruiz

Moderated by: sparks, mikesndbs, Keith Clark, joecioppi, Jeff, fratka, EVPDave, Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz, Dmaumau, Bruce, ArizonaEvp, takne_007 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Need help understanding/brainstorming and replication of "California Experiment"  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Jan 23rd, 2010 11:00 AM
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hello,

I request your opinions on this matter. Particularly, those of you familiar with radio and electricity.

Here's the deal - when I lived in California spirit was working with my radio consistently. The kind of contact and nature of spirit's ability to influence the radio was specific to that environment.....that's right! that means that while I do play a factor of unknown proportions there were variables in that environment that spirit was able to put to use to work with to form voice.

I am determined to better understand those variable and replicate them here, in Florida. I am confident that after that, it can be replicated (whether in the same form or not) for many others.

Bruce is now familiar with my story, as we have met recently. In fact, we'll be living within quite close proximity as of next week. Some of your ideas will be put to use, within monetary constrictions.

The story

In November of 2005 I began my work with spirit. it was only a few weeks after I began that I was pulled to radio, as I was sure that I heard something in the radio. Over a period of time, and much fiddling, we finally settled on shortwave radio at 25.5Mhz. Over the next few years spirit worked diligently with this, and they continue their work, but I think we can help them.

Spirit was speaking loud and stong but without enunciation and understanding of pitch, tone, etc. It was unusable, but a very large step forward. They did this for 3 years straight.

The radio was placed in a shed in the back yard, approximately 10 feet from a power pole, with the line swooping down from the pole to the house. Spirit was only able to produce this particular influence on the radio within 20 feet of this force, as measured by taking the radio to different places, different states, anywhere but this physical location. Unfortunately, what I was not able to do was put the radio near another power pole in another physical location for an extended time.

Nonetheless, it was defined to this specific area.

Specifics: Why 25.5Mhz? Well, as I found out later, that frequency is a multiple of 60hz. I was able to hear the influence of spirit all up and down the scale, from 30Mhz down to 1.5Mhz - sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker. 25.5Mhz was one of the harmonics at which  I could hear it clearest, because of the lack of other radio stations and interference at that point. "It" being the presence of the harmonics of 60 and 120hz (from the electricity) clearly audible across the entire radio spectrum, upwards of 30Mhz.

This signal got much louder on clear and hot days, sometimes to the point of being way overbearing, simply blowing out any attempt by spirit to speak over it. It would be loudest at about 1:30-2pm (midday), and would be gone by dusk.

My experience with this has taught me that the interference was already existent on the radio due to environmental conditions, and that spirit used that to their advantage in an attempt to produce voice. I know that we can duplicate this again, and use it on a larger scale.

If you have not heard clips of these radio samples, please download the following: http://www.itcbridge.com/temp/sample.zip

You can also go to Youtube and search for user itcbridge.

So, given the following observations

1. Voice was appearing on the entire radio spectrum simultaneously, not on a particular frequency. I repeat, NOT on a given frequency.
2. The temperature/weather affected this field of intereference and it was only present in the daytime.
3. It has only been duplicated at this physical location, even with the radio running on battery, and with no electrical circuits or power (save the power pole) within 35 feet.
4. They spoke consistently, loud and strong, and voice characteristics could be heard such as cadence, but intonation and pitch was not overcome or expressed successfully.
5. This happened consistently for 3 years, and only in this physical location. (15-20 feet of power pole) I have continued my radio work since, and this field/signal is not present.

I have the following questions for you

1. What is your theory on how spirit was able to speak using this method?
2. What would you consider for replication of this field induced by electricity?
3. Why do you think the weather and temperature played a role?

My intent is to use a device to replicate such a strong adjustable field and to experiment with it long term. I've considered tesla coils, but am open to any suggestions. I can tell you, electricity will be involved.

Again, I have asked this for my own personal interest, yes. But at the same time, I know it can be developed for popular use. I know it is tied to physical circumstances, and that it can be replicated. The question is how.

We will succeed.

Your input is welcomed.

Keith

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2010 09:34 PM
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Talked to Bruce earlier and think there is some credence to his mention of phases of power. As he mentioned, the power pole outside my house may have been 3-phase. Or it may have not have been....but what is clear is that only one phase is extended to the house.

Given this information, I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a way for me to replicate/use 3 phase power in a household. I'm not actually interested in the power, I'm interested in the em fields that the 3 phases produce.

The real question is this: can I purchase a device with a 120V regular wall plug input that converts to 3phase? Yes, I could buy a converter, but the likelihood of me having a place to live that I could wire this into the wall is nill. I need something like a science project that is relatively safe for an idiot like me, maybe even something that is adjustable, not that big, but can produce the effect of a 3 phase circuit on my radios.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Keith

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2010 09:35 PM
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

For example, could I potentiall ybuy a single to 3-phase converter, and then wire up an ac 3 phase motor, (perhaps even remove protective shielding so that the field will be more pronounced) to achieve what I'm looking for?

Keith

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2010 10:12 PM
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

What about a tv degausser?Only thing is I need something that creates a field over a long period of time, it needs to stay on all the time (not related to 3-phase question)

Posted: Jan 24th, 2010 08:56 AM
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
EVPDave

Keith Clark wrote: What about a tv degausser?Only thing is I need something that creates a field over a long period of time, it needs to stay on all the time (not related to 3-phase question)

Hi Keith,

A TV degaussing coil is designed for short durations of operation. It does produce a strong field but if left on it will overheat in a few minutes. I have been experimenting with rotating magnetic fields with some success. I have been exposing an AM radio and a recorder to the intense fields of a large spinning magnet. I have barely scratched the surface with these tests.

Here is a public video I made which shows just how strong these magnetic vortex can become. The video demonstrates exposure to common objects, not an EVP/ITC session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onuHOufJoeY

Dave

Posted: Jan 24th, 2010 09:45 AM
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the video. I've subscribed. Would you have any comments on the first post in this thread?

Thanks,

Keith

Posted: Jan 24th, 2010 11:48 AM
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
EVPDave

Keith Clark wrote: Hi Dave,

Thanks for the video. I've subscribed. Would you have any comments on the first post in this thread?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

Check out this site and try to listen to some of the videos.

http://www.powerlinenoise.com/

Noise from power poles and lines can produce the broadband radio noise. Spirit can  manipulate these noises much as they can with vocal/noise babble. Three phase power is typically not seen in residential areas unless needed by a very large apartment type complex. I am not familiar with the actual causes or failures of the power grid which produce those noises. In the upper midwest we have trouble with high humidity and airborne salt used for street deicing that gets on insulators and can cause arcing.

Dave 

Posted: Jan 24th, 2010 12:42 PM
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip, will do.

Keith

Posted: Jan 24th, 2010 02:30 PM
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
joecioppi

Keith,

My theory about spirit communication is based on observations about other paranormal methods of spirit communication. Several different methods are effected by natural random variations.

Three phase power is generally used by large machines with three phase motors. These motors cause transients when switched on/off.

Radio is effected by atmospheric radio noise. Power line radiation might be compared to radio noise because random transients on power lines appear as random noise riding on the 60 hertz carrier. Nearby electronic devices like receivers can have the audio frequency noise induced in them at any radio frequency they may be tuned.

AM receivers have internal detectors that allow electrical noise be heard on the speaker. In the case of radios near power lines, the power line noise is heard. I believe that an audio amp and speaker coupled to a noisy power line would reveal the same noise.

Since I believe the voices are created by the random variations in the transients, they will be heard on a variety of electronic devices with speaker circuits. Also, any true random source should contain the intelligence to form communication. A text generator with a true random input should produce intelligent text communication.

Joe

Posted: Jan 24th, 2010 07:45 PM
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your input, most appreciated.

Keith

Posted: Jan 25th, 2010 11:55 AM
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Bruce

Joe,

One of the things I have found is that it appears that the easiest thing for 'Them' to manipulate is something that is as purely random as possible.  The balance of all forces that control a purely random event is a very delicate, relatively easily upset, balance. 

Bruce

Posted: Jan 25th, 2010 12:08 PM
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Bruce

Just read the material at http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/powerline-FAQ.html and was particularly interested in the graph that showed the 60 Hz sine wave with noise on, and near, the positive and negative peaks.  The graph below the sine wave shows just the noise and shows how there can be breaks in the noise between peaks.  Makes me wonder if the sum of noise from 3-phase power would be more continuous, possible even overlapping?  I also was interested to read about how temperature can effect noise generation.  And I think about the difference between daytime, 3-phase power usage compared to night time usage.  Thousands of 3-phase power using devices could generate layer upon layer of powerline noise.  All this thinking is in regard to questions about what made to California house system works so well.  Why it worked better during certain times of the day and during certain temperature and or humidity conditions.  All with an eye toward what it would take to replicate those conditions.

Bruce

Posted: Jan 25th, 2010 08:15 PM
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

I agree, that was an excellent link! Thanks for that Dave! It is dead on....now I just have to understand how to replicate it.....and what that entails.....I really liked the part that said:

"Power-line noise is often affected by weather. It frequently diminishes during rain or humid conditions for example"

This is exactly what I experienced. I also liked it when they said: You mean a 60 Hz power-line can become a transmitter! How is the RF generated in a power-line noise burst? Where does the RF come from?"

They say: "caused by a spark or arcing across some power-line related hardware" and current flows between two conductors in a gap
is this not similar in function to a Tesla Coil? - please correct me if I'm wrong.

As most of you know, my technical knowledge is limited. Yet if I envision one of these ideas being pratcial for me, I would do the following: buy a tesla coil, but not just use it as it is, have a resonant (or several) coil(s) for the spark to jump across. I would hope that in that one spark I would have one of the necessary components for voice. I would also assume that spirit may influence it from a higher harmonic or resonant frequency.

As a second idea, I would want to recreate 3 phase power and see what I could cook up.

May sound crazy, but it worked once - I know it can work again. Thanks for your input so far, any other ideas? Does anyone think my notions of a tesla coil are even remotely feasible?

Thanks,

Keith

Posted: Jan 25th, 2010 09:30 PM
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
EVPDave

Keith Clark wrote: I agree, that was an excellent link! Thanks for that Dave! It is dead on....now I just have to understand how to replicate it.....and what that entails.....I really liked the part that said:

"Power-line noise is often affected by weather. It frequently diminishes during rain or humid conditions for example"

This is exactly what I experienced. I also liked it when they said: You mean a 60 Hz power-line can become a transmitter! How is the RF generated in a power-line noise burst? Where does the RF come from?"

They say: "caused by a spark or arcing across some power-line related hardware" and current flows between two conductors in a gap
is this not similar in function to a Tesla Coil? - please correct me if I'm wrong.

As most of you know, my technical knowledge is limited. Yet if I envision one of these ideas being pratcial for me, I would do the following: buy a tesla coil, but not just use it as it is, have a resonant (or several) coil(s) for the spark to jump across. I would hope that in that one spark I would have one of the necessary components for voice. I would also assume that spirit may influence it from a higher harmonic or resonant frequency.

As a second idea, I would want to recreate 3 phase power and see what I could cook up.

May sound crazy, but it worked once - I know it can work again. Thanks for your input so far, any other ideas? Does anyone think my notions of a tesla coil are even remotely feasible?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes, lots of good info at that site. I found the videos interesting as well. I did considerable testing with a Tesla coil back in 2004-2006. I still use it from time to time. The noise they generate in the radio spectrum is intense. It nearly always knocks my computer off line as well. I would say if the coil gets too close to electronics they could be damaged. The coil I use is small, maybe twelve inches tall. I purchased it in the 80's from Edmund Scientific.

I also did some testing with spark gaps and arcing. I found I actually made a video in 2007. Poor as it is it shows the noise and light generated by an arc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tod9-DORSYk&feature=channel

I find the best way to 'listen' to arcing noise is to use an optical sensor to view the light-wave portion of the arc. This filters out some of the distortion that is created.

If you decide to use a Tesla coil keep in mind it can run for short periods of time. The spark gap produces considerable heat. Also, if you have neighbors who listen to AM radio they will come looking for the source of interference, similar to the ham tracking down noisy power poles, ha!

Dave

Posted: Jan 26th, 2010 04:38 AM
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Dave,

I hadn't considered the heat and effect on computers - this is a problem. Thanks for that info. Somehow I have to make it on a smaller scale, and I had hopes of running it constant.....

I'd also like to hit you up about what you described as a "lightwave recorder". I'm about as smart in optics as I am electricity. What is the most practical way for a novice to convert light into sound? A hobby kit, perhaps?

Thanks,

Keith

Posted: Jan 26th, 2010 09:53 AM
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
EVPDave

I hadn't considered the heat and effect on computers - this is a problem. Thanks for that info. Somehow I have to make it on a smaller scale, and I had hopes of running it constant.....

I'd also like to hit you up about what you described as a "lightwave recorder". I'm about as smart in optics as I am electricity. What is the most practical way for a novice to convert light into sound? A hobby kit, perhaps?

Thanks,

Keith

I think Ramsey electronics made a kit but it is rather expensive for what you need. There is still a Google cache of an artice I wrote on the subjects back in 2006-2007. The photos may be missing. Let me know if you have any questons. If you can find a very bright plasma globe a modified recorder can pick up the random variations of the light. Best if the globe is DC powered.

Google "experimental recording techniques using phototransistor"

Posted: Jan 26th, 2010 10:54 AM
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
EVPDave

Keith,

I set up my Tesla coil in the basement and made a recording of my AM radio directly into the computer (approx 40 feet from the operating coil). I did one run through with Sound Soap and actually throttled back on the default settings. As you will notice the static is consistent throughout so it is very hard to pull out any voices.

Attachment: 012610teslacoil1610khzAMshortened.mp3 (Downloaded 1426 times)

Last edited on Jan 26th, 2010 11:01 AM by EVPDave

Posted: Jan 26th, 2010 07:26 PM
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Dave,

I know it doesn't sound very feasible, but I found the clip you showed to me to be very demonstrative of exactly what I am trying to accomplish. If I can duplicate that, then at least I have a basis to start from. (remember, this comes from 4 years of personal experience) Would you be so kind as to describe the setup in detail?

Thanks,

Keith

I did have a side question for you....you mentioned that a Tesla coil will get very hot.....are you able to define for me the difference between the noise generated by a power pole vs a Tesla coil and why it doesn't create the same amount of heat?.....

Posted: Jan 26th, 2010 09:05 PM
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
EVPDave

I know it doesn't sound very feasible, but I found the clip you showed to me to be very demonstrative of exactly what I am trying to accomplish. If I can duplicate that, then at least I have a basis to start from. (remember, this comes from 4 years of personal experience) Would you be so kind as to describe the setup in detail?

Thanks,

Keith

I did have a side question for you....you mentioned that a Tesla coil will get very hot.....are you able to define for me the difference between the noise generated by a power pole vs a Tesla coil and why it doesn't create the same amount of heat?.....

Hi Keith,

Which clip are you referring to, the video with the carbon arc and AM radio? If so I used a wall wart power supply, it was 30 volts DC @ 750ma. The series circuit connection to the carbon is made with a tungsten welding rod. It was the only inexpensive material I could find that would not melt. I had to draw the arc by hand. The rod heats up very quickly, I had to end the video because of the heat. The radio was tuned out of band and I used the audio right from the video recorder to analyze for voices.

If you were talking about the Tesla coil clip it was very simple. The coil was placed in operation in the basement, maybe 40 feet from my computer. I set up the computer to record and the input was an AM radio directly connected to the computer. The frequency was set to 1610 khz and I recorded just over one minute. I filtered the recording in Sound Soap as I had described.

Like I mentioned before, I do not know exactly what creates the noise on the power poles. It could be arcing inside the transformers. These transformers are designed to dissipate heat, I believe some are even filled with a special oil for this purpose. The inductors on a Tesla coil do not get hot. The contacts where the arc takes place get very warm. The small coil I have was only designed to be a science demo, not for continuous use. I can run it for about 15 minutes. Also keep in mind a Tesla coil generates a good amount of ozone from the output streamers, not good in a confined space with little ventilation.

Good questions,

Dave

Posted: Jan 27th, 2010 08:11 AM
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Bruce

EVPDave wrote:
Like I mentioned before, I do not know exactly what creates the noise on the power poles.

Dave & Keith,

So many successful EVP, Spiricom and other voice communications approaches utilize some form of noise that perhaps there are some forms of noise that are better than others for such communication. There are probably other important factors too that lead to success, but perhaps it would be useful to analyze and compare different samples of noise to see if there are differences that be correlated to success.  Different frequencies, frequency distributions, or ?

For example it looks like there may have been something about noise at the California house that works better than the noise in other locations.  Keith, do you have any recorded samples of unfiltered noise from the California house?  Maybe we could analyze and compare these sample against samples from your present, or other less successful locations?

Since you know there were differences in success between day and night, high temperatures and low, high humidity and low, it could be extremely useful to analyze and compare, unfiltered (or filtered if that is all that you have) noise samples recorded during those conditions.  Maybe that kind of analysis would give some clues about the frequency content or distribution of the noise in those different conditions.  There may be different harmonics, or different strengths of various harmonics, or some other factors.  If we could discover these differences then it might be relatively straight forward to design circuitry to generate a more "proper" noise that duplicates the California house conditions.

Whatcha think Dave & Keith?

Bruce

Posted: Jan 27th, 2010 06:44 PM
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies, and for the detail you gave Dave.:thumbup1:

Allow me to explain a little further - it becomes clear that my angle is one of "feeling" and "knowing" that drives me to pursue this topic. I feel strongly that all I need to do is provide:

electrical disturbance with strengths at certain frequencies, ie 60 or 120hz and their harmonics
AND
a point through which this is resonated at a higher frequency (for example, second resonant coil)

and then spirit will provide the rest. After a bit I am likely to hear them, and then our work will follow its natural course.  

I need to better understand why electricity flows from one tesla coil to another resonant coil, this is directly related to the idea behind this work. I'm trying to figure out a setup that can be run for extended periods of time, safely, by a novice

Ok, to rehash this from a different angle. What about sending sound through the tesla coil through the air into a second resonant coil, and then into a computer? Still as difficult/can't be run long term?

The clips you asked for are here, please be patient on the long one (3/4 of the way through you will see why it is a long clip)

You will always find the frequencies of 60hz, 120hz, and all of their harmonics as the base carrier for these attempts. They may appear weaker due to live filtering. Focus is on frequencies 0 to 3khz.

I will pursue this idea until it becomes reality, just trying to approach it intelligently.

Thank you for your help, I can assure you it is appreciated, and I will put it to good use.

Thanks,

Keith

http://www.itcbridge.com/temp/audio.zip

Posted: Jan 27th, 2010 08:12 PM
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

I have drawn it out to better understand it, and I have come up with the following conclusions:

1. Spirit was able to influence the radio closer to the power pole, but not at the point where it reached the house. Why? Is it 3 phase at the pole, and single at the house? What is special about the pole?

2. The big question - is it 3 phase power at the pole? If it were, then presumable spirit could have more to work with, they could use the difference between the 3 phases to produce energy to modulate. Is there a 3 phase stepdown transformer on the pole? Is this energy emanating from that transformer?

My gut feeling says this: since the tones of 60 & 120hz were always present at those frequencies & harmonics, and those actual tones were not shifting, yet modulation was still being produced, then it is likely that spirit was able to either affect the or use the difference between the cycles (120 degrees).

If it was simply electric noise, I would have found more devices to induce that noise by now.......they are always there, strength depends on the fields produced by the device.....so now it becomes very clear - WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT THIS POLE?

Therein lies the answer. And we will duplicate it.....

:)

Keith

pic attached (ignore the satellite dish & antenna in pic, those are not serving any function at all)

Attached Image (viewed 777 times):

radio.jpg

Posted: Jan 27th, 2010 08:59 PM
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi,

I have just watched some videos of Tesla coils in action and I took note of the fact that the frequency analysis is practically identical to that which I experienced in California emanating from this power pole. The result is 60hz and every harmonic within 0 to 3khz....

This is encouraging to me.

Keith

Posted: Jan 27th, 2010 10:02 PM
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Bruce

Keith,

The 3phase power angle is worth knowing but the I am leaning toward it being a noisy pole, with something arcing.

Arcing can be thought of as a very short, very high intensity signal.  On an oscilloscope it can look like a very steep sided, spike, of very short duration.  In terms of harmonics such a spike shaped signal can generate strong harmonics, both odd and even.  Like a square wave, but with more time between jolts for the harmonics to interact., making more harmonics.

If it was a noisy, arcing power  pole the gave the right field of signals in California then arcing by itself may be the thing that is most important.  I may not need to be extremely high voltage, and a very low power arc may be more then enough energy when placed near the radio receiver.  Think about driving a spark plug to arc with a very small gap, 0.01 inches.  I don't think you need lots of power, it just adds heat and burns up electrodes.  I small gap may not have the overheating problems of a Tesla coil and be capable of running continuously.  Again, think spark plug.  They take the heat with a little cooling so may a big heat sink for your spark plug.

If it is just the rich harmonic field up beyond the radio receiver frequency that you need, just a gap/arc will do it.   And if the noisy pole was just barely able to arc it would do it 120 Hz, twice per cycle.

Having the receiver tuned to an upper harmonic of 60 Hz also makes sense.  There should be lots of high harmonics of 60 Hz in the gap/arc field, tuning the radio to a high harmonic allows information riding on that harmonic to be demodulated, as voice.  Maybe they can speak at a higher harmonic of the radio receiver frequency and harmonic coupling allows easier reception of their low power signal. 

Well,  sometimes brainstorming is just that.

Keith Clark wrote:
I have drawn it out to better understand it, and I have come up with the following conclusions:

1. Spirit was able to influence the radio closer to the power pole, but not at the point where it reached the house. Why? Is it 3 phase at the pole, and single at the house? What is special about the pole?
 I think it could be explained as intermitant arcing at or near the pole.
2. The big question - is it 3 phase power at the pole? If it were, then presumable spirit could have more to work with, they could use the difference between the 3 phases to produce energy to modulate. Is there a 3 phase stepdown transformer on the pole? Is this energy emanating from that transformer?
Worth investigating.  If it was just residential electicity without businesses/factories odds are probably against it, but worth finding out I think.

My gut feeling says this: since the tones of 60 & 120hz were always present at those frequencies & harmonics, and those actual tones were not shifting, yet modulation was still being produced, then it is likely that spirit was able to either affect the or use the difference between the cycles (120 degrees).
If it is an arc it would most likely be 120 Hz because 60 Hz has two voltage peaks, one you can thing of as positive and one negative and both peaks can arc to ground.

If it was simply electric noise, I would have found more devices to induce that noise by now.......they are always there, strength depends on the fields produced by the device.....so now it becomes very clear - WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT THIS POLE?
Electricity in a wire travels as a sine wave that is a smooth waveform with ony even harmonics and not a lot of power in the very high harmonics, like at the radio receiver frequency.  An arc, spike wave form has both odd and even harmonices with a lot more power in the high harmonics.

Therein lies the answer. And we will duplicate it.....

Yes Keith, I believe you will.Bruce

Posted: Jan 27th, 2010 10:07 PM
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Bruce

Keith,

In the photo there appears to be an anttena on the shed roof.  Is it connected to a wire that goes anywhere near the radio receiver?  If not connected to the radio it could still be serving as a means of gathering the field strength from the pole and rebroadcasting on a wire connected to it.

Bruce

Posted: Jan 28th, 2010 04:47 AM
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Yes, technically that wire did end up within 2 feet of the radio, but when I packed up to head east, this was taken down, and I'm pretty sure the field remained the same. In addition, I had a ground rod installed about 5-6ft into the ground, and that wire came within 1 foot of the radio also.

Of course, taking the radio outside approx 15 feet away from the shed still retained this signal.

(side note: I'm sure if someone did some extended work in the area of vlf, they would find some very interesting things)

there is one difference between spark plug arcing and a tesla coil - corret me if I'm wrong - is there a part of the spark plug that functions as a secondary coil as in a tesla coil?

Keith

Posted: Jan 28th, 2010 08:38 AM
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Bruce

Keith,

Sounds like the roof antenna didn't have anything to do with getting whatever the signal was to the radio.  Good to know as it eliminates some alternate explanations.

there is one difference between spark plug arcing and a tesla coil - corret me if I'm wrong - is there a part of the spark plug that functions as a secondary coil as in a tesla coil?

Yes a Tesla coil has a primary and secondary coil while a spark plug has no coils.  Many tesla coils are fed by a relatively lower voltage spark gap that functions much like a spark plug in a car engine.  The two coils in a Tesla coil act as a stepup transformer to greatly increase the voltage of the spark gap signal.  The coils can also altered the frequency distribution of the original spark gap due to the Tesla coils' resonances and such.

So a Tesla coil probably creates at least three electric fields in the surrounding area,

one from the spark gap feeding the Tesla primary coil.  This is a low power field

one from that primary that is feeding the Tesla secondary coil, also relatively low power.

and one from the Tesla secondary coil, a high high power field.

Since the voltage from the secondary is extremely high, its signal reaching a nearby radio will probably completely swamp the spark gap field signal and the primary coil signal.  The secondary coil has different frequency distribution than the spark gap, probably fewer harmonics.  In California, if a noisy pole is the important factor, there was only the weaker spark gap type signal and its full range of harmonics, since there was no Tesla coil.

The spark gap by itself acts like a radio transmitter in that it broadcasts a signal out into the surrounding area.  This spark gap signal is a harmonic rich signal containing a huge number of 120 Hz harmonics.  These harmonic frequencies could easily extend up into the Mhz range or further.  These harmonics can interact with each other to create even more harmonics.  Extremely high voltages like those generated by the Telsa coil may not be necessary to duplicate the electric field conditions at the California house.  And the Tesla coils resonance issues may actually reduce the range of harmonics available.

If the cause of the successful electic field at California was a 'noisy power pole' that means that somewhere on or near that pole arcing of some form was probably taking place.  As a first simple and inexpensive experiment I would look for a way to create a controllable, SAFE  spark gap using ordinary 60 cycle house current.  This would mean controlling the current flow thru the gap to be as low as possible using adequate resistors and perhaps a capacitor to easy the strain.  It will also be a source of noise on neighor's AM radios, so the lower the power the better from that stand point,

Joe, you got any ideas about how to do that?  Maybe an actual spark plug screwed into a big heat sink with big stout resistors to control current?

Bruce

Posted: Jan 28th, 2010 09:14 AM
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
EVPDave

This simple buzzer type circuit should generate plenty of harmonic noise in any nearby radio. I would use a variac to lower the line voltage. This would prolong the life of the relay.

Dave

Attached Image (viewed 820 times):

buzzer3.jpg

Posted: Jan 28th, 2010 06:51 PM
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Thanks Dave, appreciate it. That certainly looks a little more practical indeed. Why would it work? Just by design? I suspect it may have already been a culprit in your work before?? Thanks....:)

I hear you Bruce, there's a lot of sense in what you say. I am limited in my practical expertise of electricity though....and find myself challenged in even the simplest electrical application because I am trying to be safe.

Concerning the diagram above, I know a VAC would basically be an adjustable power supply, and I looked at the buzzer......it has 8 terminals, and one would have to have a basic understanding of which two to hook up......Bruce, would you have a handle on something like that? Looks easy enough, what I don't like doing is burdening other people on a constant basis to take the time to explain things in detail. Given that, most "tinkerers" don't want to.

You guys have been great, thanks.

Keith

Posted: Jan 28th, 2010 08:34 PM
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
EVPDave

Keith,

The package for the relay may have a printout to identify the four connection points similar to the schematic diagram I supplied. It can be wired one of two ways, as I have shown with one set of contacts. Or, using both sets of contacts in a parallel configuration. The parallel wiring would lengthen the life of the relay contacts as two sets would be used instead of one set.

How this works. As it's wired the relay will energize and de-energize finding a mechanical self resonance oscillation. You will also see arcing taking place at the contacts with back emf of the coil being a contributor. The arcing should also contain 60hz energy to help modulate the arc. The variac is like a light dimmer in function in that it can lower the 120 vac line voltage to the relay device so it will last longer. Lowering the voltage will also change the frequency of the relay oscillation . A mechanical adjustment can also be made on the internal spring on the moving part of the relay known as the 'clapper'.  

Hope this helps a little,

Dave

Posted: Jan 28th, 2010 08:51 PM
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Thank you Dave, that helped a lot! It's practical, economical, and probably where I will start. I'll get on it as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Keith

Posted: Jan 28th, 2010 09:00 PM
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
EVPDave

Keith Clark wrote: Thank you Dave, that helped a lot! It's practical, economical, and probably where I will start. I'll get on it as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Keith

Just be careful because of the line voltage hazard. I typically work with low power battery circuits myself. A real variac can be expensive as they are a variable transformer. If you go the cheap route with an inexpensive light dimmer I don't know what will happen. I think you will be ok but there is the possibility the back emf from the relay coil would impact the dimmer circuit. I guess you will have to experiment :).

Dave

Posted: Jan 29th, 2010 08:23 AM
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
mikesndbs

Coming late to this, but I have some questions.
Keith.

The radio in question.
Can you let me know the make and model?
What frequency range did it have?

Could this be signal boost from the proximity to the power line?

Thanks

Mike

Posted: Jan 29th, 2010 04:00 PM
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Bruce

Keith,

I spoke with my electrical engineer buddy about the California noise issue.  He said if a noisy power pole is the source of the "proper" field that it could have been generated either by arcing or by a corona  type discharge.  He favored the corona discharge because arcing would by its nature tend, over time, to melt or burn away any metal the arc was jumping to and the arcing would permanently stop.  Corona discharge on the other hand is more of a case where when conditions are favorable electricity discharges from the powerline directly into the air. 

He, Russ, also said that if you want to duplicate the electric field created by either arcing or corona discharge with precision the mechanical relay approach may be difficult to control to a constand 60 Hz frequency.  Russ suggested that the most straightforward way would be to use a Variac (variable AC transformer) and a small neon sign transformer.  The output of the neon sign transformer could be sent to an ordinary, electrically grounded automobile spark plug.  Then the variac can be used to control the voltage fed to the neon sign transformer thereby controlling the output voltage of the neon sign (high voltage) transformer.  By adjusting the variac voltage and spark plug gap you can adjust the intensity (power) of the spark.  That allows testing of the spark gap or arcing type electric field.  The spark plug could be removed and a piece of wire substituted to test the corona discharge type electric field. 

In either case you are going to broadcasting wideband signal that my jam your neighbors' radios and televisions.  Placing everything, including your radio, inside a grounded metal or metal screened box could mitigate and possible eliminate broadcasting your interference signal out to the neighbors.  He also cautioned that you are dealing high voltges and there must be thought given to safety issues.

The advantage of using the variac and neon sign transformer is that they are both operating at precisely 60 Hz since they run on house current.  I did a little Googling and found sources for both of these.  A brand new variable AC transformer (like a variac) can be purchased starting at about $50 and neon sign transformers for about $40.  If that is out of reach financially you and I can maybe work something out.  Like maybe I could buy it and lend it to you for as long as you need for testing.

Another less expensive approach would be to use an automotive spark coil and build a little driver circuit that operates precisely at 60 Hz.  This is more work to build but doable.

Whatch' think?

Bruce

Posted: Jan 29th, 2010 10:26 PM
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Bruce,

I'm thinking lets go for it. How about this - I'll buy the parts and you assist with putting them together, and I'll work with them longterm, in addition we'll even bring them over for our own sittings. I'm thinking we'll do probably all of these ideas....no, I'm not kidding! lol unless you get tired of me. 

(all 3 ideas. I'm thinking the variac with relay, a small tesla coil (because I just have to get one once!), and the variac neon sign spark plug.

I'll be anxious to get a stream up and running very soon here......then we can all monitor the status of our long term projects...

Where shall we start? send me a link for a variac you think suitable (would probably like to have 2 of them......) and the neon transformer. I saw one on ebay the other day also....... I think the smaller the sign transformer, the better, I don't know. I won't start with a metal box, I'll know as soon as we build it what effect it has.....and we'll play the rest by ear.....I think one variable that must be a constant is we need the ability to change it. If we build something that is not adjustable, it may end up a pretty paperweight.....running it long term is also another important variable (safely, even without being present) . You be my technical advisor, I'll be your test subject. Like I said, we WILL succeed.

Tell your friend I said thank you for his advice.

Hi Mike,

That's the catch - it wasn't just on one radio. It was on every radio, (longwaves) am, and shortwave within the range of this field. (perceptible up to 50Mhz, but not so much above and beyond that) The one I use is an Eton E10, I have also used an Eton E100, and an emerson weatherband am/fm radio. Simple regular radios, nothing particularly special about them, I don't think....

Keith

Posted: Feb 1st, 2010 01:37 AM
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
mikesndbs

Thanks Keith

Sounds more like the audio section of the radios was the part doing the work and not the radio.
Did you by chance try any tape recorders as well?
Also, do you have any recordings that we could listen to, this would help identify the noise source?

Cheers
Mike

Posted: Feb 1st, 2010 05:17 AM
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Hi Mike,

Some recordings are in the first post above. Others can be found on youtube on the "itcbridge" channel.

Keith

Posted: Feb 1st, 2010 05:37 AM
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Keith Clark
Administrator

Had a dream last night that I went to a store to buy a shortwave tube radio. The guy told me about 3 he had, how one was noisier than the others. Thats when I told him "well then, thats the one I want!" lol So We turned it on (while it was still on the shelf) and I tuned it. Towards the right side of the band I began to hear what I was looking for. I then proceeded to explain to the salesman the entire story of the purpose of the radio.

I leave the radio on when I sleep at night. Many times, as I fade to sleep I begin to hear more clearly. One of these days I'll try to record the radio and compare it to the time that I am dreaming  I liken it to a blending of both worlds. If I am asleep and am dreaming of either hearing a voice or a radio result....the question is:

is the dreamer dreaming of a physical result and thereby creating it in physical form, or is the dreamer hearing a physical result and incorporating that into a dream?

Keith

Posted: Nov 1st, 2010 04:53 PM
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
sparks

Hi,

Great topic. I remember listening to an old cassette recording produced by Raymond Cass, a prominent evp researcher in the UK in the 70's. In it, he played some of his recordings, obtained over the radio and commented on them. A particular comment of his I thought was very interesting at the time, was he thought his good success was due to the high flux levels in the near vicinity of his (work) recording location, due to a mass x-ray facility very close to his building. I think he subsquently mentioned that in moving away to a quieter (emf wise) location, his evp results were not nearly as good.

Perhaps environmental emf flux levels of (changing) high intensity provide a catalytic force for the formation of evp. The power line leakage / arcing, etc, and the transient HV flux activity from the x-ray facility seem to have a common element.

Has someone built the mentioned relay noise generator yet?

regards from down under in NZ,

JEFF

Posted: Nov 1st, 2010 06:27 PM
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
sparks

Hi again,

Another offshoot  / parallel to this concept is the work of Andy Coppock and his use of an inductive pickup unit to receive paranormal voices. The unit he uses is a Tempo 200EP inductive probe.

http://www.tempo-textron.com/prod_detail.cfm?cat=800&subcat=803&pid=10416

Actually the name is misleading, as its really an electrostatic proble. It has a short probe antenna feeding a bootstrapped FET follower, and that feeds an audio power amp to the speaker. So in essence, its an audio emf electrostatic pickup proble. I have one of these units and have traced the circuit, which has been posted by another researcher at the link below.

He (Coppock) does a special modification to his probe to make it "sensitive". The power amp in the unit isnt configured to operate at max gain, so I modified my unit to do so. Stepping it up to max gain certainly makes it SUPER sensitive to environmental hum fields.

http://www.paranormalunderground.net/site/forum/index.php?showtopic=395

He uses it on investigations - the Queen Mary ship was one. His unit picks up hum fields and voices, but the crucial difference is that the voices he gets arent like Keith's samples posted that have the characteristic (expected) spectral modulation of received ambient emfs.

JEFF

Current time is 07:44 AM Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
ITC Bridge > Ask a Question, Give an Answer > The Technical Tower - A panel of forum members > Need help understanding/brainstorming and replication of "California Experiment" Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2290 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 35 queries executed.