View single post by ArizonaEvp
 Posted: Apr 14th, 2011 10:01 AM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
ArizonaEvp

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the inquiry but as mentioned earlier,  I neither endorse or oppose anything related to spiricom.

I’m retired so I’ve got some extra time to do some data mining to try and help out here and there.

Even though I have no opinion on spiricom I will say that I find it interesting that I haven’t really run across a replica Mark IV.

You can still find most of the main equipment on Ebay.   

For those peeps that have not read the spiricom tech manual….you can find it in PDF format here:

http://www.twelvearound1.com/files/magicoflivingforever.pdf

The bottom of PDF page 34 (spiricom pg 31) begins the description of the Mavk IV.

PDF page 35 shows a block diagram outline of how the system worked.

Below the diagram is the section that describes the system components.  

First up is the HP 608 Signal Generator.  There is a brief overview of specifications.  Important note:  Make a mental note of the last 2 sentences that say another signal generator could be used.

Now go to ebay and do a search for:   HP 608 Signal Generator

As of this writing there are at least 3 units up for grabs as well as technical manuals which would give you full info on capabilities.

Going back to PDF page 36 of the spiricom manual you will see the next the next big ticket item is the Hammarlund SuperPro 600 High Frequency Multiband Receiver.  Say that three times fast.

Back to ebay and this time do a search for:   sp600jx receiver   Be Sure To Check The Box Under The Search Button That Says:    Include Description

As of this writing there are 3 SuperPro’s however two of the auctions end today.

Getting back to the spiricom manual you will see the rest of the items on PDF page 36 are somewhat standard except for the comment about building a tone generator.

Now boys and girls……If you look at PDF page 37 (spiricom pg 34)  you will see the tone generator they built.  

For right now lets focus on  Fig 14  RF Signal Generator and Receiver where you will see a pic of the Mark IV all dressed up and ready to party.

But Wait……….If you look at the pic you will see that the HP 608 is sitting upside down on the floor next to the Mark IV housing.  You can see in the housing that below the SuperPro 600 is a new piece of equipment.

Hmmmm….what is it?   What could it be?!?!?!?

Oh yea….the manual did say that another signal generator could be used.

Now we have to go to the link that shows pictures of the poor spiricom as it sits today:

http://www.audiomedium.com/spiricomstudy/nyd2009.html

Starting at the Top Row…First Picture On The Left ….

The first pic is of the Mark IV cabinet where you can see the SuperPro 600.  (note the empty space in the rack below the SuperPro)

Second Row…Second Picture From The Left….

This Pic shows the back of the SuperPro 600.  If you google Hammarlund SuperPro 600 and then click on Images;  you will find lots of pics that show both the front and back of the SP600 (for comparison purposes)

Second Row…Third Picture From The Left….

OMG;  it’s the mystery piece of equipment seen in Fig 14 of the spiricom manual!!

The picture shows the equipment to be a TS418B/U.  But what is it?

If you read through the behemoth 566 page Military Standardization Handbook MIL-HDBK 172A - Volume I - 11 March 1964…..on PDF page 199 you will see that the TS418B/U is a Signal Generator.

The page also says the 418B/U is also known as the AN/URM-49 Signal Generator.

While the TS418B/U – AN/URM-49 Signal Generator is not presently on ebay,  one might still be able to find it online or perhaps through some sort of military surplus network.

However…….if you are a techie person who wants to go Tron and delve into the inner workings of the 418B/U;  an inexpensive copy of the Technical Manual can be had on ebay for only $10 plus shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TM-11-6625-280-15-SIGNAL-GENERATORS-AN-URM-49-AND-49A-/150589102595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230fcf5a03

In the listing there are 2 pics you can look at.  One is the front cover of the manual and the other is an illustration from within the manual.

Notice the pic and you will see it is of a 418B/U

If you’re gonna buy it you better hurry….I just might beat you to it.

Now….should you desire to save your $10…. instead of providing a link to the 566 page military equipment manual,  I have Copied and Pasted the TS418B/U – AN/URM-49 Specifications into a single page Word Doc file.

I have posted it below.  

I’m getting hungry for a Scooby Snack so I’ll pick back up in the next post.

Regards,
Shaggy….ooops…I mean Ron

Attachment: TS418BU-URM-49 Specs.doc (Downloaded 1308 times)

Last edited on Apr 14th, 2011 10:06 AM by ArizonaEvp