View single post by Vicki Talbott
 Posted: Oct 7th, 2010 03:36 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Vicki Talbott

I can hear what others do if I try, but I still hear "Good morning" said in an inflection that sounds very happy and in direct response to what you have said.

I have found that when we don't pay attention to what the recorder has heard, we can often hear other utterances, relevant or not, to the context. I feel we need to pay attention to the recorder more since that person holds the medium position. Some class A EVP are demoted simply because others report hearing something else or hearing something more, very common even when analyzing TV shows and movies by snippet. Some researchers say we should not pay attention to the recorders' interpretation, that we should turn away and listen without that input. Normal. But when we listen with our "schema ears," that is our listening combined with our expectations, knowledge, emotions, physiological make up, and I could go on and on, and it can be as off-putting, to me at least, as listening with the recorders' interp in mind. Not to say you guys don't hear what you hear of course, but just to say what I've just said! Vicki