View single post by EVPDave
 Posted: Jan 25th, 2010 09:30 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
EVPDave

Keith Clark wrote: I agree, that was an excellent link! Thanks for that Dave! It is dead on....now I just have to understand how to replicate it.....and what that entails.....I really liked the part that said:

"Power-line noise is often affected by weather. It frequently diminishes during rain or humid conditions for example"

This is exactly what I experienced. I also liked it when they said: You mean a 60 Hz power-line can become a transmitter! How is the RF generated in a power-line noise burst? Where does the RF come from?"

They say: "caused by a spark or arcing across some power-line related hardware" and current flows between two conductors in a gap
is this not similar in function to a Tesla Coil? - please correct me if I'm wrong.

As most of you know, my technical knowledge is limited. Yet if I envision one of these ideas being pratcial for me, I would do the following: buy a tesla coil, but not just use it as it is, have a resonant (or several) coil(s) for the spark to jump across. I would hope that in that one spark I would have one of the necessary components for voice. I would also assume that spirit may influence it from a higher harmonic or resonant frequency.

As a second idea, I would want to recreate 3 phase power and see what I could cook up.

May sound crazy, but it worked once - I know it can work again. Thanks for your input so far, any other ideas? Does anyone think my notions of a tesla coil are even remotely feasible?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes, lots of good info at that site. I found the videos interesting as well. I did considerable testing with a Tesla coil back in 2004-2006. I still use it from time to time. The noise they generate in the radio spectrum is intense. It nearly always knocks my computer off line as well. I would say if the coil gets too close to electronics they could be damaged. The coil I use is small, maybe twelve inches tall. I purchased it in the 80's from Edmund Scientific.

I also did some testing with spark gaps and arcing. I found I actually made a video in 2007. Poor as it is it shows the noise and light generated by an arc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tod9-DORSYk&feature=channel

I find the best way to 'listen' to arcing noise is to use an optical sensor to view the light-wave portion of the arc. This filters out some of the distortion that is created.

If you decide to use a Tesla coil keep in mind it can run for short periods of time. The spark gap produces considerable heat. Also, if you have neighbors who listen to AM radio they will come looking for the source of interference, similar to the ham tracking down noisy power poles, ha!

Dave