View single post by ArizonaEvp
 Posted: Jul 10th, 2009 05:40 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
ArizonaEvp

neokortex_simulacrum wrote: Hi Ron, I greet you from the hills and valleys of Transylvania.

I went through your response, and can tell straightaway, that I don't have that much experience that you have, so your view of things in the EVP-field is a lot broader than mine.
A great idea to use a, err - how do you say it? - professional sound card, I never had one. All I used is Wavepad and Cool Edit 2.0: Wavepad bacause it had a "Spectral Subtraction kinda noise reduction filter", someone adviced in youtube to use that. I had Cool Edit 2.0 before I got to experiment, and it looked like as a very complex software, that has all the necessary editing tools.
With this (and a mother board chip soundcard), I dug as deep as 80-100 dB in the soundwave and all I found what I wrote you in my previous post. I believed that one can't go more deep, but if you say, that the equipment makes that possible, than I believe it.
So, you are the man.

I have a question for you: did you work, before getting retired, in areas of sound or music - do you have a musical hearing by talent?

Hello My Friend,

Thank you for your kind words but I am by no means  “the man”.  I’m just a guy with a lot of free time on his hands.  Don’t sell yourself short.  I am by no means an expert nor do I have all the answers.  Just ask my wife….she’ll tell you. :biggrin:

There are people on this forum who are smarter and more accomplished than I am.  But we all contribute in our own way.  And that in turn adds to the greater good.

The soundcard I use is not Professional by any means.  It is an older model, which can be purchased on ebay now for around $50.   

I agree with you about digging –100dB or beyond into a sound wave.  I have not found much there except machine noise.

I’m glad you have Cooledit. 

Cooledit is a great program.  I still get aggravated with it trying to switch between regular and multi-track windows.  It has excellent noise reduction capabilities and handles WMA files better than Nero.

I also like Cooledit because you can generate different waveforms of Pink and Brown noise.  I am playing with these different types of noise in direct communication experiments. 

You can also generate tones at a single frequency if you want.  This can also be interesting if you combine two tones to make a binaural beat.  Be careful though if you get into alpha, beta and theta brainwave patterns.  You can make yourself nauseous with the wrong frequency combinations.

Like I mentioned,  I found a that cheap pair of earbuds to work better than more expensive ones.  I guess the better ones use more noise canceling circuitry or different types of magnets. 

As far as what I did for work before I retired;  I did not work in sound or music industry.  The only music talent I have is singing in the shower.

I would be very much interested in listening to some of your EVP recordings.  If you find some time maybe you could upload some and we can work them together.

Doi ochi vãd mai bine decât unul.
Ron