View single post by ArizonaEvp
 Posted: Jul 10th, 2009 04:22 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
ArizonaEvp

Welcome Harpo,

Passage within the realm of paranormal investigation begins at a huge crossroad.  The many paths available for you to travel depends on answering one big question:

What do you want out of this? 

Keep in mind that the answer to the big question depends on you being honest with yourself with regards to things like:

Are you looking for a “cheap thrill” or do you want to engage in serious research? 

What is your scare threshold?

How gullible are you?

How much time and money are you willing to invest?

I certainly don’t want you to answer these questions out loud for us.  Their only purpose is to get you to be realistic about yourself, your limitations and your goals. 

In a world of over 6 ½ billion people (living that is) my opinion means little.  That being said,  I shall nevertheless share some of my thoughts with you.

For others who read this….I mean no offense and I apologize up front if you get upset.  All I can ever do is speak from my own observations and experiences.

I think the worst thing someone can do is to adopt a monkey see monkey do mentality.  

Yes…ghost hunting shows on tv get the credit for bringing the phenomenon to a wider audience.

Yes….the groups that have followed in their footsteps do serve a purpose and do in fact contribute to the cause,  but in my opinion,  they are by no means the be-all-end-all of paranormal research.

These shows are like anything else on TV.  The cast is made up of people who; for their own personal reasons,  have agreed to some producer’s idea for a reality based tv show.  Once that happens,  control is shifted to the producers, directors and marketing folks.  It is a results driven commodity that lives or dies by the ratings.  

The best thing you can do is to study.  Begin with the history of this phenomenon and go from there.  As you get closer to deciding if and what you want to do,  then study equipment and their shortfalls. 

A good place to get opinions on equipment is:   http://www.ohioghs.net

While I don’t agree with some of Ken’s esoteric practices,  we do share a healthy disdain for people who stand to make a buck off of us.

The different articles on his website go into some detail and demonstrate by example;  the flaws and limitations of things like digital cameras, IR thermometers and other pieces of equipment.  A visit to this website could probably save you some or your hard earned money.

One example is the K2 meter.  If you do some research,  you will find the K2 is based on technology from the 1960’s.  The K2 is popular…but only because it was shown on tv.  A $12 emf meter has the same capabilities.

As far as your other questions:

Do you have to go to a graveyard or some allegedly haunted location….no.

Can you do EVP or Radio Sweep in your own home…..yes

Will you “release the hounds of hell”…….it depends on your fear factor

As far as the Short Wave IR Camera you mention…the only difference between this and a Camcorder with IR capability is in the wavelength of IR light the sensor picks up. Could it be helpful….possibly….but for that kind of money,  you could get by a lot cheaper and do a modification to a digital camera that would give you full spectrum capability.

My best advice is to sit back, relax, and research the various methods of spirit contact before running out and spending any money.

Keith’s ITC Bridge is intended to be experienced in the comfort of one’s home….for free!

There are people on this forum that are willing share their knowledge and help you along if you ask.

And who knows...you could very well be the person who's research has a direct and paramount effect on this field by thinking outside of the box so to speak. 

Once again….welcome!

Regards,
Ron