View single post by ArizonaEvp
 Posted: Jul 9th, 2009 03:24 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
ArizonaEvp

For those of you pulling your hair out trying to find a decent filter to use when doing a live recording session….may I offer the following recommendation.

The Brick Wall Filter with BandPass engaged.

The reason I like this filter is because it only allows the frequency settings you choose to pass through the filter and onto your computer recording.

There are many paranormal websites that will point out that EVP voices are usually contained within a certain frequency range.  Through the use of a simple 10 band equalizer I have found no discernable voices above 6000Hz.

If you are generating any type noise to help facilitate a stronger voice response,  the brick wall filter may be just the thing for you. 

If you are using white noise upwards of 20,000Hz,  a brick wall filter set to shunt everything over 6000Hz will save you ears from having to listen to unnecessary background noise.

I would recommend using only the brick wall filter for a live recording session because you can always use your de-nosier when reviewing your recording.

I did both a brick wall and continuous noise and the end result was not pretty.

To access the Brick Wall Filter,  use the steps listed above but select Brick Wall instead of Continuous Noise. 

Double-Click the Brick Wall Icon to bring up the properties of the filter.  

First thing to do is to select the Bandpass button.

Set your Frequency to 50 (or whatever you wish)

Set your Upper Frequency to 5000  (or whatever you wish)

Set your Length to a fairly low number such as 50 ***

***Length (Samples from 0 to 4094) - The larger the value of this parameter, the greater the degree of signal rejection beyond the frequency settings you have chosen.  A low setting of length will allow a bit of bleed over above and below your frequency settings but for EVP purposes,  this is not that great of a concern.

Keep in mind the higher the setting of Length, the harder your CPU has to work.  Large values of Length will indeed cause less bleed over but it also takes longer to process the recording, which in turn might make your computer stutter in preview or live real time modes.

Here again you can always make several test runs before you begin recording in earnest.

Just a thought,
Ron