View single post by Jeff
 Posted: Feb 14th, 2008 05:51 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jeff

EVP_Babs wrote: Notemanz wrote: Very informative!  Are there any EMF detectors that you feel comfortable recommending?

John D

As far as I am aware, the TriField meters are designed to ignore man-made EMF's.
Hi Babs, and John.  First, let me clarify:  Instruments from AlphaLabs are good ones.  I don't want anyone thinking I am in any way saying those instruments are of poor manufacture.  They certainly are not. 

Babs, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you misinterpreted the TriField functions.  The TriField meter has several settings, as you know.  The basic settings are two for static magnetics (2 different sensitivities), one for electric field strength, and one for RF energy. 

If the device is set for electrical field sensing, then the device will not respond to RF, or static magnetic energy; well, not very well anyway, and that is the desired design. 

I'm thinking this is what you are interpreting as "ignoring man-made EMF". But when the meter is set for RF, it will respond to any RF it senses.  So there is simply no way to differentiate the source of the energy. 

A meter than can differentiate, by adjusting its bandwidth of sensitivity, would be like one of the devices manufactured by Bird Electronics.  http://www.bird-electronic.com/

If you visit that site, you will immediately see the "Signal Hawk" that has a frequency spectrum display.  If an RF energy should be sensed, it would show that "spike" at the frequency.  Thereby, the user can instantly see if the RF is within an ITU, or FCC, band that would prove the source of RF is "man-made".  In addition, if the user wishes to 'track' that particular frequency, and ignore others (to keep the display 'clean'), then the device can be programmed to do just that.  It will also perform frequency analysis (software included), and download that data to your computer for deeper research. 

This is the device that the FCC, and other authorities use for RF analysis.  It is also listed with the NIST as a traceable instrument.

I know what you and John are thinking.  Yup!  Very expensive!  And I am not advocating everyone to sell their houses to purchase one!  This is only for information, and education on the subject matter. 

Here's a good example of the Signal Hawk's use in paranormal research for the insanely wealthy:  The spirit-safari is on, and the researchers are walking through a suspected area of paranormal activity.  One of the researcher's is holding the Signal Hawk in his/her hands (REALLY CAREFULLY) :wink:.  Suddenly, there is a spike in the spectrum display.  The spike goes away.  The user notices what frequency the spike was at, and finds the spike was not within normal communication bands.  The user then slowly moves the device about looking for that same spike.  Suddenly that spike appears again, and stays!  Now, that user has a scientific reason to pursue asking questions, calling all video, and audio EVP members to the area, and begin good research.

For those reading this, I would offer the following details:  If you are a member of a paranormal research team, and have been called to investigate an area (building, or no), it would be prudent to find out the following information before arriving at the site: 

1 - Get a map of the locality.  Look for any airports, police departments, fire departments, radio stations, television broadcast stations, electrical power substations, commercial utilities (trucks with radios), refineries, or industrial plants (hand-held radios), that might be nearby.
Mark them down on the map.

2 - Call the places in question, and explain to them you are investigating abnormal RF energy near their locale.  Explain you require their communication frequency(ies) to program them out of the spectrum under investigation.  Personally, I have found that a simple, good explanation will yield favorable results.

3 - In case the contact called is not willing to divulge said frequencies, have no dispair.  This is public information that the FCC has to give.  Simply call the FCC to obtain the frequencies.

Now, you're sorted out, and ready to get after a good investigation, knowing you have filtered out the normal RF activity that would be present.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Jeff

Oh! Happy Valentine's Day all!

Last edited on Feb 14th, 2008 07:24 PM by Jeff