View single post by Jeff
 Posted: Feb 10th, 2008 05:09 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jeff

Notemanz wrote: Jeff,

Is there a distinction between the "Rf" theremin and the musical instrument Theremin or are they the same?

Hence wouldn't a good RF proximity sensing meter (tri-field etc.) be similar?

Thanks,

John D
Hi John!  No, there are two types of Theremins.  One, the original (which is what I had in mind), creates two RF fields.  One for pitch; and one for loudness. 

The other uses photo controlled amplifiers to control both pitch and loudness. 

Your second question asks about a "good RF proximity sensing meter".  Well, John; and everyone; these meters are usually manufactured by untraceable manufacturers.  By "untraceable" I am referring to others than recognized manufacturers such as Fluke, Tektronix, and Hewlett-Packard. 

When Fluke, Tektronix, and Hewlett-Packard produce a device of any kind, they first prove the device in their laboratories, and then send them to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), http://www.nist.gov  (for security reasons, please click on the header of the site to be allowed in) to be compared with the standards of physics that have been established. 

The resulting comparison test, if it passes, is given a "trace" number for that instrument; as long as there is no change to the design, or manufacturing process to that instrument.  Thereby, that particular instrument has an understood basis for its function(s).  Any change in manufacture or design must be 'retraced'.  This sets the standard for confidence in that instrument.

Now having said that, these EMF meters that you asked about rarely, if ever, have a trace number;  standard of sensitivity, or response to said sensitivity.  Therefore, they cannot be included in scientific research of normal, or paranormal kinds.

I hope this clarifies things to not only you, John, but others who read this.

Best to all!

Jeff