View single post by Jeff
 Posted: Feb 10th, 2008 01:56 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jeff

Update:  I'm still working on a better functioning Faraday arrangement.  Even with all of the calculations and physical testing, the device still is not yielding the signal results I have intended.  Because of the frequency used, the antenna lengths are just too large for good use.  That design is now shelved.

The good news, is I have came up with a new thought:  Antennas have a very small bandwidth; are large (at this frequency); and require some power to excite.  Instead of a transmit and receive antenna, why not replace both of them with a RF transformer?  The transformer has two sets of windings:  Primary, and secondary.  RF transformers are typically used for impedance matching in RF devices, between stages; but can be used as a RF modulation stage.  Transformers also have a very wide bandwidth!

So!  The Faraday enclosure would simply have BNC connectors on the outside for connection to the RF generator; frequency counter (if desired), and RF receiver.  The inside would just have the RF transformer mounted with the primary winding connected to the RF generator (via BNC); and the secondary winding connected (via BNC) to the receiver (no antenna on the receiver, like a Hallicrafter's).

Thats' it!  You now have an RF field inside the enclosure that would respond to frequencies from 150 kHz to 500 MHz (depending on the transformer purchased).

RF transformers can be procured from ebay, or any ham radio outlet for very little $ too!  I saw one on ebay for $5 plus shipping.  Total of $12!

Even the damping factor would not apply much since the primary and secondary windings are would right next to each other.  Time delays won't matter.

Unfortunately, time for construction has become a real commodity for me, and I will not be able to construct this for a while.  If anyone else can help; and have the time and tools to construct, I would be happy to supervise!  Otherwise, we'll have to wait a bit.

Best regards,

Jeff