View single post by jtjones
 Posted: Dec 10th, 2014 11:06 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
jtjones

Stefan,

I breadboarded it to test it and get it working, using cheap ceramic caps and 5% resistors so the testing I did using it was "as good as it gets" with that set up. Currently I am putting it all together on a pcb using high quality film caps and 1% or better resistors. Once I get it together and tested I will be able to give more input (or is that output???) as to it's working.

The 60Hz notch filter is more of a "just in case" filter since the power supply that I made is just about the smoothest and most stable thing I have seen in a while. There should be no hum or harmonics coming through it and what little there might be will be taken care of in the ground of the power supply.

And no, unfortunately there are no schematics for the power supply, I drew the board out by hand and spaced everything out by hand. I can say that it is a dual output toroidal transformer going into a rectifier made of schottky diodes with 100nF caps in parallel with each diode, going into about roughly 30,000uF of capacitance on both positive and negative. Ground is tied into the "zero" voltage or ground or source or what ever you want to call the connection in between. Which that is connected to a 10W resistor, diodes and 100nF cap so that stray noise does not come from ground. Oh and it's got safety, the plug has a fuse! (I usually forget about using fuses so I'm proud of myself for remembering in the design! :D )

Jeremy