View single post by Gizmo
 Posted: Jan 27th, 2013 04:55 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Gizmo

Rachel EVP Voices wrote: Hi Gizmo, all

I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm utterly frustrated by the amount of air time given to "ghost hunters" with only a superficial understanding and no respect for the subject. If we choose to be taken seriously by scientists and engineers, then we as a community need to be credible.

I fully appreciate that Darren has found messages disturbing but without a comprehensive, objective in-depth investigation, diagnosis through a forum is foolhardy; regardless of previous experience. True physical phenomena is rare and needs to be addressed directly not by Hocus Pocus divination. In a genuine case of activity, there is always a need for sympathetic support alongside a realistic approach to resolving or coming to terms with the situation. Fear has always been considered a key factor to the level of activity and as such it should be treated with sensitivity.

If you glibly pronounce to Joe Bloggs who has reported activity in their home, that they have "attachments" causing the problem without doing any research, because it's what you believe, you will make the situation worse by encouraging negative associations with activity that may not actually exist.

I'm sure you'll all of heard of Guy Lyon Playfair and his book on the Enfield Poltergeist, "This House is Haunted". I was lucky to catch up with him at an SPR meeting where they discussed the report. The family were terrified and the activity caused havoc in their day to day life. If you've seen the TV programme on YouTube, you'll be struck by how all invasive it was. What you don't see on that programme is all of the support the family needed and received, at the time and for a long time after.

Unless you're prepared to put out the fire, don't stoke it!

Best wishes,

Rachel

:smile:
Point taken.  And agreed.  I'm guilty myself of rushing in with suggestions that I've heard have helped with other cases without a clue as to what is happening in a particular case.

When we were having our incidences (Nothing like Enfield, of course!  But some of it was physical.  Some of it was quite disturbing.), there was really no one I knew of, other than my husband, to talk with about it or to offer suggestions.  I had to dig through the mounds of information out there and try to come to an understanding.  My husband was easier with it.  He was pretty certain it would just go away if we didn't encourage it.  Oddly, we never felt fear.  Annoyance?  You bet.

Perhaps this is my own imagination.  Or, it might be false synchronicity.  I'm open to this possibility.  But, after we said, "No more messing with our stuff.  No more disruptions," it did seem to slow down.  This was several years ago.  Now, it's just the occasional slamming noise in the basement, and I did get touched on my back last summer down there.  But compared to before, this is no big deal.  

In dealing with the many folks who come into the other forum and report activity, I guess my first thought is to try to help them debunk it to ease their minds, if we can.  Try to figure out what else it might be before we jump to demonic infestation.  LOL 

But this is different than dismissal.  And sometimes just letting people tell their story helps them feel empowered and not ridiculed or alone.

I feel like I might have stepped off on the wrong foot here, and for this I'm sorry.  It was never my intention to do so.  I will leave the investigating to the ones versed in science and enjoy hearing the resulting evidence they uncover. I hope it leads to a greater general understanding and yes - patterns that help put this puzzle together.

In the meantime, it is at the top of my list to learn to hear and decipher EVPs.  I am convinced that if others can, so can I.  Prior to this, I had to set them aside because I was simply not hearing what everyone else did, no matter how often I tried.  I'm going to see if I can change that.