View single post by Rachel EVP Voices
 Posted: Jan 27th, 2013 03:39 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Rachel EVP Voices

Hi Gizmo, all

I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm utterly frustrated by the amount of air time given to "ghost hunters" with only a superficial understanding and no respect for the subject. If we choose to be taken seriously by scientists and engineers, then we as a community need to be credible.

I fully appreciate that Darren has found messages disturbing but without a comprehensive, objective in-depth investigation, diagnosis through a forum is foolhardy; regardless of previous experience. True physical phenomena is rare and needs to be addressed directly not by Hocus Pocus divination. In a genuine case of activity, there is always a need for sympathetic support alongside a realistic approach to resolving or coming to terms with the situation. Fear has always been considered a key factor to the level of activity and as such it should be treated with sensitivity.

If you glibly pronounce to Joe Bloggs who has reported activity in their home, that they have "attachments" causing the problem without doing any research, because it's what you believe, you will make the situation worse by encouraging negative associations with activity that may not actually exist.

I'm sure you'll all of heard of Guy Lyon Playfair and his book on the Enfield Poltergeist, "This House is Haunted". I was lucky to catch up with him at an SPR meeting where they discussed the report. The family were terrified and the activity caused havoc in their day to day life. If you've seen the TV programme on YouTube, you'll be struck by how all invasive it was. What you don't see on that programme is all of the support the family needed and received, at the time and for a long time after.

Unless you're prepared to put out the fire, don't stoke it!

Best wishes,

Rachel

:smile:

Last edited on Jan 27th, 2013 03:40 PM by