View single post by Sparkz
 Posted: Sep 19th, 2012 02:14 AM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Sparkz

Intriguing images indeed. Do you have links to original RAW sensor data? JPG compression adds noise and detracts from quality. Sensor files are uncompressed data and can be further developed or pushed to enhance sharpness, contrast and quality.

I will be VERY honest, but *most* "orb" photos to me do not amount to much more than dust. If you have a camera with a built in flash within 4 inches (a handspan) of the lens, chances are very high that it is dust caught in the strobe and reflecting it back to the camera.

I use a speedlight, radio triggered from the camera at an oblique angle to the scene to rule out dust caught as orbs. That or attach a large element lens with a very low L rating and use natural light, fast ASA.

You will find that REAL, self-illuminating orbs will show without accessory flashes at all. A good place to hunt for them is crossroads or railroad tracks that are in wooded, otherwise remote locations. As you approach they will dissipate, so you got to use your zoom! :D

Otherwise, good catches. I hope that you hunt and find more and supply file data for us to download an see pixel for pixel. Youtube compression atop of a JPG image eats image resolution for lunch. :/