View single post by ArizonaEvp
 Posted: Mar 13th, 2012 10:51 AM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
ArizonaEvp

The one difference....the one advantage of canine vision over humans is Flicker Fusion.   

Flicker fusion rate is the frequency with which the "flicker" of an image cannot be distinguished as an individual event.  In essence,  like the smoothness of TV or Movies.

What this means is that dogs see at a higher frequency than we do.  For us....our flicker rate is around 50 - 60 HZ interlaced or approx 25 - 30 frames per second.

Canine's flicker rate is between 70 ~ >80Hz,  depending on the breed.

By comparison,  birds flying or being chased through trees do not readily run into branches because their flicker rate is upwards of 100Hz.

For the purposes of video sweep,  I wonder if using an older TV with its low contrast / refresh rate of 60Hz might be limiting the quality of the output image(s) you are trying to capture.

I know that a lot of computer CRT monitors can be set to higher frequency rates but I don't know if one can interface a CRT monitor with UHF/VHF signals without using a computer and a TV tuner card.  

Also I'm not sure if the sweep rate you are using can be adjusted accordingly.

My experience with TV electronics is modest,  so I apologize if this all sounds myopic,  but I figured I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

Best of Luck,
Ron

Last edited on Mar 13th, 2012 08:26 PM by ArizonaEvp