View single post by sparks
 Posted: Nov 9th, 2011 12:25 PM
Full Topic
sparks

If you type "4.7Mh rf choke" into google images and see what they look like. They are small and are designed for minimum self capacitance and minimum electromagnetic pickup.
Type "ferrite antenna" into google images and see the difference. These are designed for maximum RF pickup and directivity.
If you want a broadband device, use an rf choke, or just a resistor as the load element, as has been mentioned.
If you want to tune to a specific frequency, use a ferrite rod antenna.
I initially suggested an rf choke as this was akin to the original raudive design. This however has the drawback that it is inherently broadband and it is difficult to avoid radio station pickup. Because of this, I then suggested a ferrite rod antenna, as this can be tuned to a specific frequency, and as I mentioned, 2 rods in series should get you below the medium wave band where atmospheric noise pickup is greater than any stray signal, and exact tuning shouldnt be important.
As others have mentioned, there are better and easier ways to obtain the noise that such a device can generate, as I mentioned in my last post.
JEFF