View single post by Ty
 Posted: Sep 11th, 2011 12:21 PM
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ty

As for editing audio clips, personally I believe that the less one edits, the better. In the past, I have amplified and adjusted the speed of a clip--but only in moderation. I'm of the opinion that if you have to do extensive amounts of editing to a clip, then chances are you never had a good sample to begin with. Better to just delete a "C" quality evp, as opposed to subjecting it to all sorts of cosmetic surgery in the hopes of upgrading to a "B" or "A" recording.

By the way, I really don't understand why so many people are afraid to even slightly change the speed of a recording. If you go back and read the works of evp pioneers from 20-30 years ago, you will find that adjusting the speed of a recording was a commonplace and accepted practice. Yet today it seems that adjusting the speed of a recording is almost taboo. Many will argue that adjusting the speed, or even the tempo, can alter the original evp message, perhaps even create words that are not really there. I say that's rubbish. If I listen to an old record of Frank Sinatra and slow it down, the words he is singing do not change--they are the same words, just slower. The same holds true for an evp: slow it down, or speed it up...they are still the same words. Besides, I find it perfectly logical that if evps really are words being spoken by people in another dimension, then those words will sometimes be altered during the process of breaking through into another dimension--namely, ours. To think that all evps will or should reach our recording instruments at the same speed is, I dare say, frankly absurd.